Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Cycles and Unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I started trying to learn Blender. All the tools it has are amazing, I've only ever made very simple things, a long time ago when it was dot by dot. So I watched some Youtube and decided to make my first model be the oil toy I keep by my desk to remind me of the one I had when I was a kid. Simple as Forest Gump, but I kinda just realized that the shaders I used in cycles for the color and materials won't transfer over into Unity, right? Since I used a shader for even colors, I assume that it will just import as all grey or something perhaps? Is the remedy to purchase something like Amplify Shader Editor, since I don't want to use the LRP? Included is a picture of my oil toy because I think it's cool for a first time. I'm going to change it to be not in rest, move the oil to the top mostly, feign movement, add balls of oil dripping out of the cone and down the ramps, add ball parts to the oil pool on the bottom, and lastly maybe add a "clear" liquid like the real product for specularity of nothing else, and add some air bubbles. And viola. Anything looks beautiful in Cycles though, really wish I could recreate that in engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. bgolus

bgolus

Cycles is a path tracer, which is very different than what most modern GPUs are capable of doing in real time. That's a lot of complex refractions, which aren't easy to do with traditional rasterization. Sure there are the new RTX GPUs from Nvidia, but they're still fairly limited in what they can do at real time framerates. Watch some of the example videos showing off things like complex reflections and refractions, like Atomic Heart, and notice that when ray tracing is enabled the framerate (and resolution) drops significantly in the scenes showing those effects. That's being demoed on top end >$1200 GPUs, sometimes multiples of them, just to get the framerate close to smooth.

Switch over to using Eevee in Blender to get a feel for the best case scenario of real time rendering of glass refraction without raytracing.