Search Unity

Refund for unavailable assets...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wheelbarrow, Sep 20, 2020.

1. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

As the title reads, when do I get my money back for assets I bought several years ago that are apparently no longer available, and tagged as such. I have quite a list, so it's not $5 we're talking about here. Thanks.

2. vorokoi

vorokoi

Probably never. I mean, is it typical to expect a refund when a business shuts down or a product is discontinued? I can't think of one instance/industry where that would be the case... maybe a competitor would offer a coupon or something, but aside from that, have you ever gotten a refund for anything in such a case?

3. cybersoft

cybersoft

You can still download this asset in the Unity editor even if it is not available in Assetstore.

adamgolden likes this.
  4. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

@cybersoft No, I can't, that's why I asked the question. Most of my older assets are still available but several, which we are told ARE available through the editor, are not, they are listed as unavailable. I thought the asset store kept all purchased assets in the cloud or where ever, but apparently not. Ipso facto, I would like my money back if they are no longer holding them. It's not like the original authors can take them back from my account.

@vorokoi you are wrong mate, it's more like a bank taking dollars you put in there years ago out of your account, and then saying they are now unavailable. I bought them, I expect Unity to store them like they say they do, so I can access them when it suits me. It's not like Unity shut down. Cheers.

5. vorokoi

vorokoi

That doesn't make sense at all. Maybe if the asset store worked off of a balance, eg you purchased Unity credits, then it would be similar.

Why would you expect Unity to store third party assets forever, even after the original author chose to deprecate? That seems very unreasonable. If you really wanted to hold on to old releases of assets, there was nothing stopping you from maintaining your own backups (many people do this). All you had to do was grab a copy from your asset store folder on your machine after downloading it from the store.

There is absolutely zero chance an arbitrator, judge or jury would rule in your favor on this. Best to chalk it up as a lesson learned and just utilize a backup system going forward.

6. cybersoft

cybersoft

"If you have not downloaded previously and the asset is deprecated:

If the asset has been deprecated by the publisher, this means that only users who have purchased it previously will be able to download. As long as you are logged in with the purchasing account, the download should work.

If the download does not work, please contact Support here with your original asset invoice and we will look into it."

https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-u...-the-Asset-Store-Where-can-I-download-it-now-

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did you ever get this figured out? I have some assets that I purchased that are now "unavailable" also. Note: This is different from being "deprecated" - you can still download those.

8. Mauri

Mauri

No idea if the "Deprecation" feature existed when you purchased these Assets, but...
    Source: https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...-the-Asset-Store-Where-can-I-download-it-now-

Either way, you may want to contact the support and ask them. That's probably the only way to get help with this.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can still download items that are deprecated -- this "unavailable" is something new. I did email support, and they didn't know what was going on, and asked for screen shots. Which I did send. I'm waiting to hear back. I was curious if the original poster had heard back from support on this.

hopeful likes this.
  10. Mauri

Mauri

I'm aware of that.

I'm curious... What asset of yours shows as "Unavailable"?

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Everything from "Freedomsgate" (FG3D). I specifically purchased the hair models, and converted them to use with UMA -- if the user has been banned and the assets are in some legal doubt, it would be great to be notified to that effect. And of course, have my purchase price refunded.

Strangely enough, as I was typing this I did get a reply from Unity, that this user had their assets removed from the store for Piracy, and that no refunds will be given since I purchased it last year. Yeah, it was only a few bucks. A few bucks and many hours of converting them all to UMA and getting them integrated.

12. hopeful

hopeful

Good to know what the cause for pulling them was. Reduces some of the mystery.