Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflective building glass - unrealistic results

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JMHenriques, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM.

1. JMHenriques

JMHenriques

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to all of this so I would like to start by apologizing for all the stupid questions that I will for sure make...

I have a simple 3d model of a building with a reflective shader in the windows and a reflection probe.
    After some tweaking in the Box size and Z offset I could get the reflection of the character more accurate size-wise.

Nevertheless, the windows reflect all scene in front, this is not very realistic as the reflection of the character should only appear when the character is in front of the windows (picture below):
    upload_2019-11-10_16-3-45.png

So question 1: Is it possible to correct the angle of reflection?

And question 2: In the picture below the character is in front of the glass but the reflection is sideways... I believe this is due to the reflective probe being in the center of the object... Should I make a reflective probe for each window? I've tried that but the results were really strange...
    upload_2019-11-10_16-5-59.png

Again sorry if this is something really basic, just need some guidance on where to search for correcting this... I saw many tutorials and the reflection probe manual but found nothing for this...

2. JMHenriques

JMHenriques

Not sure If this should be in shaders or not... but I cannot move the topic now...

3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Reflection probes are limited in there usefulness for mirror like surfaces.
    They only represent the reflection based on one particular position(Its own).
    That does not match with the camera position.
    For non "mirror" surfaces this is fine since you cant see it accuracy.
    To get fitting reflections that fit the current camera position you would need a planar reflection for every building face with big mirror windows.

JMHenriques likes this.
  4. JMHenriques

JMHenriques

Thanks fffMalzbier :)

I believe this planar reflection is only available in HDRP right?

5. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The build in Planar Reflection Probe component is only for hdrp but the concept and various other implementations are avalable for probably all other render pilines too.