Search Unity

Reflections over a large indoor surface

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by dgoyette, Dec 13, 2018.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm struggling to get reflections looking good across a fairly large indoor surface. Admittedly, maybe there's no good way to do this, but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions. The basic issue is: A single Light Probe looks bad from lots of directions, while using lots of light probes causes a lot of duplication of light and also looks bad. I haven't yet found a "sweet spot".

The room I'm lighting has a reflective/metallic floor, and several lights on the ceiling. Here's an example with all reflections disabled:

upload_2018-12-12_21-24-18.png

If I try to use a single Reflection Probe for this whole area, it sometimes looks good, but often I get stuff like the following, where the reflection data was captured very far from the player, so I get light reflecting I can't even see. For example, notice the green light reflecting from the door the player can't actually see:

upload_2018-12-12_21-27-58.png

I tried covering the area with lots of reflection probes, to see if that helped, but then I just get repeated light. For example, here's that same door again with lots of active reflection probes. Notice how the door's green light is appearing once per reflection probe:

upload_2018-12-12_21-21-48.png

I'm not sure whether there are any other approach I can try here. I'll most likely just go with the "one big reflection probe", for performance reasons, and just accept the unrealistic lighting in some cases. But I'm curious if there's something else I can try.

2. bgolus

bgolus

dgoyette likes this.