Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflections on flat water surface appear off

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by whidzee, Dec 15, 2019.

1. whidzee

whidzee

Hey gang. I'm still fairly new to dealing with reflection probes and all that.

I have this swimming pool with a diving tower next to it. i have a reflection probe who's box covers the entire pool and tower. i have set the probe to be box projection. Yet when you look at it here the reflection does not seem to line up with the tower. I have tried setting the probe to be real time but i get the same results.

Any ideas?

upload_2019-12-15_11-36-27.png

2. bgolus

bgolus

A reflection probe captures a reflection the scene from the point of view of a single position in space, the position of the reflection probe itself. A reflection from any other position but the pivot of the reflection probe will not produce a correct reflection. That means the entire water surface is reflecting from the wrong position.

It’s a good enough approximation for reflections for complex surfaces, especially those that are rough. For everything else the fact it’s wrong is clear, like a mirror or a pool water. For those you want to use a planar reflection. See the water example in the Standard Assets package on the Asset Store, or check out this one used for the Adam demo Unity did 2 years ago.
    https://github.com/keijiro/AdamPlaneReflection

kcastagnini likes this.
  3. whidzee

whidzee

Hey thanks for this. the water in the standard assets is looking great. However if i look down at the water i am seeing the reflections disappear but as i look up the objects are appearing in the reflections. i am guessing this is because when i am looking down i am not rendering the objects and therefore they aren't getting reflected.

Any idea on how I can go about fixing this? the dissappearing reflections are kind of jaring

4. bgolus

bgolus

I haven't looked at the water from Standard Assets in a long time, but I do know they've been semi-broken the last several Unity versions. That culling issue is one I think I've seen others mention, I'm not entirely sure what the cause is or the solution. Sorry.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. flipper2017

flipper2017