Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflections nearly gone in 5.4

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by F-R, May 9, 2016.

1. F-R

F-R

Hello!
    I gave Unity 5.4 a quick try to see if I can finally upgrade my project, but it seems that there is a new problem. Reflections seems to be handled in a complete different way and I can't figure how to get them back. It looks like the standard shader is interpreting differently the reflection map or did I miss something?

Reflections51.png Reflections54.png

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. m4d

m4d

F-R likes this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

So will you just need to ramp up the smoothness to get reflections?

4. F-R

F-R

5. F-R

F-R

Didn't take time to try but it seems I have to change this line :
    #define UNITY_BRDF_GGX 1
    In the file UnityStandardConfig.cginc

6. Arowx

Arowx

Thanks for the link cheers.

Get used to it, were you around when they were working on the new UI. They ended up doing what most people do with Unity and using solutions from the Asset Store that work.

Also some developers are sticking with 4.x as at least it is 'stable' and relatively bug free.

F-R likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

It's way more over in UE4 land, changes are often much more dramatic. I think this is probably acceptable practise as a developer usually sticks to one release + patches.

GGX is an improvement, but if you like you can use your own lighting model and its possible to restore the old lighting model AFAIK.

8. F-R

F-R

Yes acceptable practice… Imagine if microsoft adopted Unity 5 new update philosophy : "Ok guys for the next word update the bold function will display italic characters, let's remove the underline option too, people will use our great line tool instead, oh and we changed our minds, finally the lists will be displayed as grids". Great…

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Not a great argument, no. With Unity or UE4 this will always happen because there's something called progress. You choose to update or not. You are in control. You're moaning but you have control over it. You don't have to update.

You can't have both update to new features and have nothing changed. Eventually, something has to change as game development is ever-changing. New hardware. New capabilities.

Regarding lighting, you can restore old behaviour with shader define.

10. F-R

F-R

It sounds like you have never released a game and you don't realize the constraints I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the cruel lack of reliability, consistency, and long term support with the different unity 5 versions.
    Of course I love progress, change and new features. What I don't like is the way Unity is doing it :
    - Each minor update breaks A LOT of things and it shouldn't.
    - Each new versions is obsolete in a matter of weeks. There is no long term support. I'm using unity 5.1 since the beginning of my project and will release with it. But it's really frustrating to find a huge amount of bugs that I want to report but will get sent to the trash immediately as the dev team is completely focused on newer versions that I can't use because those problems and new one are still there.
    - I also have to anticipate the future of the game once it's out. What will happen with new OS releases? What if I want to take advantage of new Unity optimizations? What if I want to have a VR compliant release? What if I want to support new platforms? In a near future I will have to upgrade my project to newer Unity versions and I have to make sure it can be possible and in good conditions.
    I'm also terribly worried as a long time Unity user to see that my relation with the software has changed from love to hate with this damn v5 cycle. I'm really hopping that 5.4 will bring stability and reliability back.

11. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I lol'ed at your naivety. Most unstable beta release since the original 5.0 beta.

That being said, switch to GGX was necessary IMO. It simplifies the workflow when moving textures from Quixel or Substance to Unity. If you use neither of those (or an equivalent), you are wasting a lot of time anyway, so the switch won't make that much of a difference to you and your inefficient workflow :cool:

F-R likes this.
  12. Arowx

Arowx

I think the point is Unity had a Standard Shader if they bring out Standard Shader 2.0 with GGX they should at least keep the old standard shader and bring in the new one under a different name.

It's versioning/labeling and deprecating older standard features gracefully. They have a legacy shaders section.

The standard shader is dynamically compiled depending on it's settings and textures, they could in theory add a GGX and Unity Standard Shader toggle in the UI or just number them.

And then providing simple in editor tools to make it easy to switch between them or upgrade them.

F-R likes this.
  13. F-R

F-R

Exactly!

14. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Adding any kind of toggle or additionnal built-in shaders would add unecessary shader keywords that, if you're in a big production, can become quite problematic over time.

What you can do is by yourself import 5.1 or 5.2 built-in shaders set in 5.3. Didn't try it, but I guess it should work.

15. Lex4art

Lex4art

unityunity