Search Unity

Reflection probes in Unity 2019

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by mafuf5, Apr 15, 2020.

1. mafuf5

mafuf5

Are reflection probes still valid in Unity 2019.2.1f1???

I watched a pretty recent Brackeyes tute on setting em up, but that technique appears redundant now, or am I missing something?

Bare in mind I'm pretty new to Unity after slogging it out in awful Maya for ten years and its hard to keep up with the releases. I'm still trying to get my head around animating the Main Cam, which just seems to jump back to 0.0.0. as its constant starting point, regardless. So I have to rotate my assets to suit the cam. i know there's a simple solution to this, but what can i say?

This app is amazing.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Reflection probes are still a valid and efficient way for getting approximate baked or Realtime reflections fitting for most cases.
    Even if you use Screen spacre raytraced reflections you still have areas that thous cant see and reflection probes provide a nice fallback / additon.

You should be able to animate the camera position.
    Can you show the setup you have or the tutoreal you are trying to replicate?

3. mafuf5

mafuf5

thanks. i think I've sorted the probe issue, but the Main Cam always starts zero'd out once I animate it, that is, can start the camera move ani anywhere, but always defaults to 0.0.0. and plays from there once i hit Play. Must be a button or something i have to click.

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Keep in mind that the animation of the position is always relative to its parent. If the camera does not have a parent it uses the world Coordinates.

What do you use on the object to animate it. A animator with a animator controller is a good way to go.

5. mafuf5

mafuf5

ok thanks FFF, ive got the default main cam inside another game object zero'd out, and that works, but then to take the parent with the cam inside it, make a timeline track and add the animation track changes its position. But when i hit PLAY, its acts as i set it. just a simple camera pan, but the TIMELINE animation and the PLAY animation yield different results.