Search Unity

Question Reflection Probes constantly corrupting baked maps in HDRP project

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by ChristopherLIvey, Sep 17, 2022.

1. ChristopherLIvey

ChristopherLIvey

I am trying to use the HDRP render pipeline. It seems to work okay, but I have a couple of questions about the reflect probes and reflect maps:

1) first of all, the maps keep getting corrupted. If I set up a probe, and bake a new map, it works perfectly, but if I click on the Global Volume object after that, it re-renders the maps, with a great ugly black square in them. (see attached images). I thought it might have something to do with the shadow maps or ambient occlusion, but it still happens if I disable those things. Is there a way to avoid this? I am using Unity 2021.3.7f

You can see what looks like ambient occlusion in the scene, but I've removed the occlusion override from the Global Volume, and turned it off in the render settings.

I tried to avoid this issue altogether by enabling screen space reflections instead of using reflect probes, but the post processing layer and volume don't seem to work with the HDRP render pipeline. I'm perplexed.

2) Is there any way in this build of Unity to change the settings for the reflect maps? They seem to be awfully low resolution, but I can't find any settings for the map size.

All of the documentation I am finding seems to be for other versions of Unity. Any help would be very welcome. I'm supposed to push out a build over the weekend for testing.

maps_when_generated.jpg after_selecting_global_volume.jpg

2. ChristopherLIvey

ChristopherLIvey

I never figured this out, but I found I could make the problems go away by instead opting for real-time reflections. (I have since added some lighting to the scene in addition to the HDRI sky). However, I'm still stumped by the low resolution of the reflect map.

dynamic_reflections.jpg

3. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

In the HDRP Asset you can set the default resolutions of your cube reflections, planar reflections, etc.

4. ChristopherLIvey

ChristopherLIvey

Thanks for your response. Could you please tell me where I could find that? I looked through all of the objects in the HDRPDefaultResources folder in vain. I also looked in the runtime packages without sucess.

5. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

go to the projects settings at "graphics" you will find your main render pipeline asset, under "quality" you will find those for the different graphics tiers. (they all are assets somewhere in your project) just click on them and you can find them and configure them via the inspector.

6. ChristopherLIvey

ChristopherLIvey

Thanks very much.