Search Unity

Reflection probes blending isnt blending

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Godfather21, May 23, 2021.

1. Godfather21

Godfather21

So i've encountered that issue where instead of smooth blending reflection probes weights only move in 0.5 increments so basically it either shows a single reflection probe or two at the same time.
    The reflective surface is water with a main camera as an anchor override so that reflection probes blend while player is moving forward.
    Im using a built-in rendering pipeline.

2. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

Did you ever figure this out? I'm seeing the exact same issue.

3. Godfather21

Godfather21

Nope, still waiting for a miracle to happen in some other version of Unity or something

4. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

That's exceptionally unfortunate. Forward or Deferred, I see the same 50% blending going on, constantly.

5. Godfather21

Godfather21

Which version of Unity are you using?

6. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

2020.3.9f1. I've dug through the cginc files and I can't find where the unity_SpecCube0_boxMin.w is being set - that's the float that is controlling the blending in the shaders. you can see here, boxMin[0].w is being used to control the fading lerp, but I cannot for the life of me find the spot where that's being set.
    upload_2021-9-13_1-32-2.png

7. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

8. AndreiMarian

AndreiMarian

Any updates on the issue? There's an asset that does reflection probe blending but I wouldn't buy an asset just for this.
    @Howard-Day Can you please provide the Amplify shader?

9. Reahreic

Reahreic

I couldn't tell you exactly why or how, but I'm using 2019.2.11f1 with URP and get blending between 2 probes down to the 1/100th decimal place.

That said it seems like the reflection probe bounding boxes are more of a suggestion than an actual effect defining volume and so long as they aren't overlapping each other the object rapidly blends between the 2 nearest probes on distance. (less than a 1/4 meter transition at my scale)

What I can't figure out is how to blend more than 2 probes on a single mesh, or to ignore probes that are technically occluded by another object. This causes issues with objects that can be affected by different probes on different parts of the same mesh.

10. Kali2048

Kali2048

From what I have gathered, reflection probe blending is based on the object volume intersection with the reflection probe volume.
    For example, if you have only 1 probe and the mesh is set to "blend probes and skybox", when the object's volume intersect 10% with the reflection probe volume then the blending is 0.1 with that probe and 0.9 with the sky.
    Which means if your object is tiny and move fast, the blending will only last a split second.