Search Unity

Reflection probes and indoor/outdoor separating windows

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by argosy_ops, Aug 13, 2017.

1. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Hey folks! I'm working on a combined indoor/outdoor scene with some glass windows separating both areas. I'm trying to wrap my head around the best use of reflection probes in such a scenario, since I currently can't quite figure out the best strategy for what I want to achieve.

When the player is indoors, I want a group of light probes with box projection to take effect on the windows, whereas for a look from the outside, I want to reflect the outdoor scenario without box projection to give a better sense of depth. Placing a reflection probe outdoors and moving the area of effect just about towards the windows works for the outdoor look, but will cause the viewer to see skybox reflections when he's indoors. Typically, because of the difference in brightness, reflections on the windows should basically be very subtle seen from the inside and only indoor light sources should really be noticeable.

Right now, I either have the outdoor or indoor reflections on my window wall, which looks good one one side, but never on the other. Any strategy I could use to really separate the reflections in the same windows? I thought about splitting the windows into separate indoor/outdoor surfaces and use anchor overrides for each of them to force them to the respective reflection probe. But before working over my models, I wanted to check what you guys think and whether you have any other suggestions.

2. bgolus

bgolus

This is really the only option.

LazloBonin and argosy_ops like this.