Search Unity

Feedback Reflection Probe Workflow Issue and a Suggestion

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Werti100, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Werti100

Werti100

Hi! I want to bring up an issue of mine with the work flow of reflection probes in the unity editor. Post won't be long since it's not a huge problem but an annoying one, and I'd just like to know if others have the same issue and if anything will be done about it.

so here goes: when you bake light probes it creates a new asset, which is cool, but the naming convention is terrible! it just goes in a folder of the scene's generated assets, and gets an automatically generated name such as "ReflectionProbe-1/ReflectionProbe-2/ReflectionProbe-3.." etc etc. I also tried renaming them in the assets and it automatically went back to it's generated name.

This is bad because big projects like mine end up having 100+ un-named reflection probe assets and it makes it annoying to find any specific one for when you need it. Example: looking for a cubemap for a fake interior shader.

So here's what I propose! Have the generated name instead take the name of the reflection probe object in the scene, that way I can simply name reflection probe objects after the area they're in, making it easy to find any specific one later when needed. if the object name is default then it does what it currently does, and that's fine, because it's my responsibility. duplicate names could get a (1) or (2) depending on how many there are.

What do you think of this idea? Anything I missed? Leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading!

hasandogu likes this.
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

A work around for you might be to write a small editor script that can find you the nearest reflection probe to your object and sets the ReflectionProbe.texture of that probe to your selected object Material / script property. ( at lease that what i would do if i had to do it more then 15 times)

In general i do not object your idea of been able to rename the reflection probe output / set the name in the reflection probe settings. It might just break the workflow of many other scripts / assets.

Werti100 likes this.
  3. Werti100

Werti100

Bumping this old thread because it's still a very relevant workflow issue.

hasandogu likes this.