Search Unity

Reflection probe override / volume of influence

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Zomby138, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Zomby138

Zomby138

There was once a thread in the 5.3 beta forum discussing overriding reflection probes in deferred shading. I haven't really seen anyone talking about this since.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/override-reflection-probes-and-deferred-shading.360684/

For me, this is the single biggest problem that Unity currently has. Every time there's an update or announcement I'm skimming through the notes looking for something about this. I've checked the road map and it's nowhere to be seen :( It's getting to the point now that I'm worried it might have been forgotten...

What I really need is custom mesh volume of influence.

@Aras is there any chance you could update us on what's happening with this?

2. Zomby138

Zomby138

Is anyone else still interested in this issue? @NVYVEStudios @F-R @ruj @creatlore have any of you found a work around to use?

@Aras please respond. Event if the answer is "Sorry you're stuck with it how it is" at least then I'd know.

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Right now, no one is doing work in this area, besides on what is already done. So the situation is:

When using forward shading:
    1) reflection probes are per-object, with optional blending between two probes.

When using deferred shading:
    1) (default) reflection probes are per-pixel, with blending area around each probe.
    2) can also use per-object style probes if that suits you better, by doing Edit -> Project Settings -> Graphics -> set "deferred reflections" to "no support".

4. Zomby138

Zomby138

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

The fix Aras provided in 5.3 seems to be a good solution. But for the moment I'm staying with Unity 5.1 until there is less chaos with newer versions, each time I tried a newer version of Unity showstopper bugs came in the way…