Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Reflection probe has no Resolution by Reflection probe

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by FernandoMK, Nov 13, 2020.

1. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Yesterday I tested HDRP 10.1 on the latest version of unity (2020.2 b11), and I'm still surprised that we don't have how to define the resolution quality for each Reflection probe.

In the past at unity we could define the quality (resolution) of each Reflection probe in the scene, and that was great. however in HDRP, I can only do this in the SRP settings, which ends up affecting ALL Reflection probes in the scene.

This is practical:D, however, if I want one of the Reflection probes to have a different configuration (like more or less resolution), I cannot change it (after all, if I change in the SRP, everyone in the scene will be modified too):(

It would be useful if I heard an option to replace the SRP resolution in a Reflection probe, where I could change the quality of this Reflection probe, and not change the others in the scene together, that would be great.:)

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello, yes, it's a known limitation, like in numerous other modern engines that also require fixed probe resolution. I agree it would be great to selectively choose the resolution of each probe, it is also something I'd rather have, however, for optimal sampling performance, they all need to be packed nicely in an array using the same resolution, to be efficient. It doesn't mean that it cannot be done though, but there would be some tradeoffs.

FernandoMK likes this.
  3. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Interesting, it's sad that it doesn't ... but if there's more performance, then it pays off for me. :)

Do you plan at some point (in the future) to include this?

4. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Resolution has negligible impact on reflection probe performance.