Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflection probe general usage

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Alec-Chalmers, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Alec-Chalmers

Alec-Chalmers

Vague questions incoming...

I understand what reflection probes do, but is there any other performance cost to using them if they are baked?

Also, if I don't use them will my PBR materials look wrong?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Other?
    They will have no reflections, or they will use the global reflection probe, which will most likely look wrong(-er). If you use something like SSR, you might be able to get away with it, but it may make SSR look really wrong under certain circumstances if it has nothing to fall back on.

3. Alec-Chalmers

Alec-Chalmers

So, if the PBR materials fall back on the global reflection probe it might result in areas that are in the shade looking like they are reflecting brighter parts of the wider scene.

Ignore the first question, I understand what you mean by asking 'other' as they don't have any performance hit iniitally anyway.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So the global one typically has the the skybox, so if that reflection probe is used in an interior, it will be reflecting your skybox, which will most probably look very wrong.
    On the other hand, I'm still not sure what you mean :) There is some performance consideration when you have a lot of reflection probes and blending between them happens.

5. Alec-Chalmers

Alec-Chalmers

Oh right, thanks. So have as many as you need, but be careful not to have too many overlapping/blending together?

Thank so much for clearing those few things up for me! It's very much appreciated.