Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflection Probe Editing Mode

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by hausmaus, Jan 22, 2015.

1. hausmaus

hausmaus

So this is a silly thing but it is driving me crazy: Previously, when I clicked on a Reflection Probe gizmo in the scene, I could translate it around, and its bounding volume would move with it. I had to use the inspector panel UI to modify the volume, but translation would apply directly.

Then I clicked on one of the the "Probe Scene Editing Mode" icons in the inspector panel. These are the little segmented curve and the translation cross icons. Now depending on which one I use, I can either move the probe gizmo with no effect on the bounding box (so translating the probe "leaves behind" the bounding volume), or modify the planes of the bounding volume with convenient little center-point handles. But I can't just move the probe and move the bounds anymore.

I assume this is a bug, because translating the probe gizmo with no effect on the bounding volume is pointless, right? That can't really do anything. And moving the bounding volume now requires individually repositioning each plane, rather than just dragging the gizmo around.

So um like, help! How do I restore the original/intuitive behavior?

Thanks!
    Adrian

2. hausmaus

hausmaus

Update: Closing and relaunching the program restores the original edit mode. However, I'd still like to know if there's a better way that I'm just not seeing to cancel that mode switch within a session, and/or if other people think either the mode switch or its odd behavior are a bug.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Just click on the Move tool in the left top corner of Unity Editor, and it will cancel out selected tool in ReflectionProbe inspector

4. jashan

jashan

Kind of funny - I just ran into that same issue a few days ago. Maybe it would be nice to extend the "main toolbar" with extra modes coming from inspector-button clicks (or even in general from selecting certain game objects in scene or hierarchy). If done right, maybe even the terrain engine could benefit from that.

I just clicked on one of the main toolbar icons, so it was "obvious enough" the way it is right now - but still it does seem a little hacky IMHO.