Search Unity

Reflection Probe Bake Time on Android

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by mbzdmvp, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mbzdmvp

mbzdmvp

Hello,

I noticed that my reflection probes work flawlessly and bake within seconds when developing for standalone. When I switch my platform to Android in build settings and set Texture Compression to ETC2, baking of reflection probes on any resolution above 128 takes hours. Is this a bug?

scottb9239 likes this.
  2. jesusrg

jesusrg

The same thing happens to me, i solved setting texture compression to "Don't override" in build settings, and changed manualy all textures to Advanced an then Format to RGBA Compressed ETC2 8 bits.

scottb9239 likes this.
  3. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Could you please report a bug with small repro attached? Thank you

scottb9239 likes this.
  4. scottb9239

scottb9239

I'm getting this too I believe. A scene with several reflection probes with a resolution of 128 would bake and import in seconds on 5.1.4 but can take up to an hour in 5.3.1. This is the only issue I'm having with 5.3.1, but it is really slowing down my progress. I tried setting the resolution to 32 and it still took ages, almost no change.

The bake time now takes ages and also the "Copying and Extracting" part of importing the reflection probes once baked also takes forever. The light baking (non-reflection probes) is great, bakes nice and fast, it's just the reflection probe part I'm having trouble with. I too am using ETC2 and on Android. Will make a test repro project and submit a bug asap.

Scott

5. scottb9239

scottb9239

Okay, I went and test this on both Unity 5.1.4 and Unity 5.3.1 and the results were so different, here's the description sent with the bug (bug number 763103):

1. What happened

I was previously working on an Android project using the ETC2 texture override in the Build Settings in Unity 5.1.4 and the lighting and reflection probe bake times were great. I have now moved the project to 5.3.1 and have noticed that the lighting part of the bake is still good but the reflection probe part of the baking is taking way longer, hundreds of times longer in some cases. I made sure to clean the GI Cache and clear all bake data between tests.

Just the Reflection Probe Part Baking Times (Test Machine Using i7 5820K with 32GB RAM):
    Unity 5.1.4 ETC2 Android: 4 Seconds
    Unity 5.1.4 Don't Override Android: 4 Seconds

Unity 5.3.1 ETC2 Android: 5 Minutes 55 Seconds
    Unity 5.3.1 Don't Override Android: 59 Seconds

2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached

Load up the TEST scene, test baking times (I was just timing the Reflection Probe and import of maps part) in both Unity 5.1.4 and 5.3.1. Only using one 128 resolution default settings Reflection Probe, one directional light and default material on 5 planes.

6. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

It's almost 3 years later, and this still takes forever. I'm using 2017.3, making a GearVR build, and reflection probes are just really slowing me down something fierce. There's only 12 of them in a small scene, I even dropped them down to 16 pixels, and yet it still takes minutes on my current gen i7. Is no one else experiencing issues with this?

StaffanEk likes this.
  7. NEVER-SETTLE

NEVER-SETTLE

I experienced this too on 2018.3
    I did reflection probe baking on my scene and it always took around 30 sec. Now my scene grew by about 10% in terms of objects, but it takes more than 1 hour to complete. 30 sec vs 1+ hour seems like a bug...

// EDIT: OOok nevermind, I apparently was baking reflection probes without having Realtime Lighting ticket in Lighting settings. That's why it was done so fast, but once I enable that settings then it takes forever....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. bdeschryver

bdeschryver

I am experiencing this too... any solution ? Unity 2019.4 LTS

9. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

Same thing, 2019.4.15f1 , any answers from Unity?

10. bdeschryver

bdeschryver

Still the same on my side.
    Unity 2019.4.10f1.
    Bake probe 128 : 13 sec
    Bake probe 256 : 16sec
    Bake probe 1024 : 170s !!

Strangely also, the probe works correclt but the gizmo sphere is very bright !
    Capture.JPG

11. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey folks,

I think the best outcome here would be to make a repro project and submit up to date bug reports on the issue if you're suggesting its the same issue from years ago. That way, QA can email you back with solutions or add your information to existing open issues and update you accordingly.

12. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

Sure, or as we all get the same issue regardless of the project maybe we could get someone from Unity looking into it? I bake probes at a crawl pace with a Threadripper! geez

P.S: Bug submitted regardless

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  13. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

I can't stress enough how helpful bug reports are as they just aren't things users send to tell us there is a bug - it sends us essential files from the user to see this on our end. If more users send them with various different setups, that gives us a lot more information to go on and investigate.

14. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

15. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

16. bdeschryver

bdeschryver

Just for information, the issues I had were from a project which I duplicated a few times to save time (instead of creating new ones).
    Now I started a new project from a blank new one and the issue is gone.
    Solve from my side then.