Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Reflection fades out on object even if anchor point is fully in volume

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by sacb0y, Oct 8, 2021.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

I would say this isn't expected behavior. And i'm not sure how it can be fixed.

For this scene I use an anchor point so that reflections look correct based on the scene. But the new behavior is strange?

I under stand there's something of a proximity blend going on, but perhaps the way that works should be reconsidered a bit?

Here I move the anchor in an attempt to change what reflection probe is used on this glass. Instead I get no reflection. I assume normally it would use a fall back reflection of the skybox but I turned that off as it's highly undesirable for indoor scenes.

Reflection issue 1.gif

But once i move the objects into the proximity of the reflection probe, it starts to blend in.
    Reflection issue 2.gif

The way this is behaving it practically makes using anchors useless. There should be some manner of override for this kind of thing even if it reduces the utility of the way it normally blends which i guess is more per pixel or something.

It's critical anchor points work more properly. As demonstrated here in the recent game Lost Judgement, which uses it's character as the anchor point when rendering the windows on the door. unfortunately there's no blending here, but honestly even the instant switch is preferable to the above function.

Reflection proper.gif

This is on v2021.2.0b10

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is this in URP / HDRP / BIRP?

3. sacb0y

sacb0y

This is URP sorry for not saying.

AcidArrow likes this.
  4. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

Hey, there indeed seems to some unexpected behavior here. I did a quick investigation and from what I can tell the anchor only affects the probes that are selected. The blending itself does not take the anchor position into account. Can you confirm the behavior is as expected when you turn reflection probe blending off on the URP asset?

One of the outcomes for reflection probe blending in URP was the unify the behavior between forward and deferred. The blending behavior of probes was quite different between forward and deferred in BIRP. Deferred rendering in BIRP or HDRP should show a similar issue where they ignore the anchor.

Currently, URP still heavily relies on built in for the probe selection. In the future URP will step away from this and take more control. This should give more freedom to improve blending and provide more options to define volumes. At this point it is not known yet how anchors will fit in.

hippocoder, LeonhardP and AcidArrow like this.