Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Reference to type 'AssemblyBuilderAccess' claims it is defined in 'mscorlib', but could not be found

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by QFSW, Nov 16, 2018.

1. QFSW

QFSW

Hi, I was testing one of my plugins on 2018.3b to see if anything needed changing and this new error appeared when using the Assembly Builder from Reflection.Emit

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Plugins\QFSW\Quantum Console\CSharpCompiler\CustomDynamicDriver.cs(164,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AssemblyBuilder' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    upload_2018-11-16_19-30-34.png

I'm lead to believe that the issue is either:

A) a bug with 2018.3b meaning the implementation is not found
    B) an intentional removal of the AssemblyBuilder
    C) The AssemblyBuilder has not yet been implemented to this beta build of 2018.3b

If this is something that will not be present in the release version, then I don't need to take any further action. Is this intended however or not? and if it is intended how can we work around this?

Many thanks

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are you targeting .NET standard 2.0 API Compatibility profile? That is the new default I believe.

3. QFSW

QFSW

Ah! That was it, thanks!

4. QFSW

QFSW

Are there any preprocessors that allow us to determine which compatability level is used? I use #if NET_4_6 but this didn't trigger it :(

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

6. QFSW

QFSW

I think I've found a bug.

In my normal assemblies, it works fine. However when I have an editor only assembly as specified by the asmdef, it stops working. Most likely due to the editor always using 4.x behind the hood, but then how can I use the equivalent preprocessor in the editor assembly? (the inspector wont work if the non editor class doesn't exist)

I can send you the project as a repro if you need it. I'm not sure if its a bug or if I'm being stupid

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you explain the setup and what stops working? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're trying to do.

8. QFSW

QFSW

My plugin requires .NET 4 to function. So in each of my scripts I now have
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if NET_4_6 && !NET_STANDARD_2_0
    2. #define QC_SUPPORTED
    3. #endif
    Then I wrap the code inside
    QC_SUPPORTED

This works fine.

My editor then checks if
    !QC_SUPPORTED
    , and shows a dialogue to upgrade the project. This is so if a user imports it without the correct settings, instead of an error they get a clear error and a button to upgrade for them. This is done like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #else
    2.         public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    3.         {
    4.             DrawBanner();
    5.             EditorGUILayout.HelpBox("NET 4.6 scripting backend is required for Quantum Console. Please upgrade/switch to the correct .NET backend before attempting to use Quantum Console.", MessageType.Error, true);
    7.             GUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    8.             GUILayout.FlexibleSpace();
    9.             if (GUILayout.Button("Upgrade Project to NET 4.6", GUILayout.Width(170)))
    10.             {
    11.                 PlayerSettings.scriptingRuntimeVersion = ScriptingRuntimeVersion.Latest;
    13.                 string projectPath = Application.dataPath.Replace("Assets", string.Empty);
    14.                 EditorApplication.OpenProject(projectPath);
    15.             }
    16.             GUILayout.FlexibleSpace();
    17.             GUILayout.EndHorizontal();
    18.         }
    19. #endif
    This however, doesn't seem to be working. The asmdef for the editor code is set to only include the editor platform. If i remove the asmdef, or make it include build targets, it works again.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

So I guess what you're trying to say is that if an asmdef is set to editor only, it's compiled as .NET 4.6, but if it's set to be included in players, it's compiled as whatever API compatibility level is specified in the player settings?

10. QFSW

QFSW

From my understanding and testing, yes, but I may be wrong. Even if this is intended behaviour, I then still need a compile time way to check the projects API level

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I asked people from our scripting team to look at this thread as it's unfortunately outside my area of expertise.

12. QFSW

QFSW

No worries, thanks for the help!

13. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

Hi @QFSW
    It is true that the defines set are not correct. I will make sure you can use the NET_4_6 preprocessor in Editor only assemblies in next 2018.3 version

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  14. QFSW

QFSW

Ah so it's just a beta bug then? If so that's all fine, I don't officially support beta builds so as long as it fixed for the final 2018.3 release that's fine!

15. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

@QFSW sorry, I thought this was another case that we previously had, where defines where not correct.
    So the defines are correct.
    But I understand your scenario. You could put your code in a nonEditor only asmdef, and wrap it with #if Editor
    Or you could do a combo with the NET_4_6 define and check on the playersetting compatibility
    PlayerSettings.GetApiCompatibilityLevel

16. QFSW

QFSW

The problem is my code won't compile since it references stuff from the non editor code that doesn't exist

17. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

18. QFSW

QFSW

That looks interesting. I could give it a try And yeah there's definitely work arounds, but it just feels like an oversight that would be nice to have a more native solution for

19. QFSW

QFSW

20. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

Yes, it will behave the same.

So The defines are the truth of how this assembly will get compiled. We will not add global defines like this.

LeonhardP likes this.
  21. QFSW

QFSW

Awesome, thanks