Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Reference Resolution / Responsive

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Nazarick, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Nazarick

Nazarick

Hello there,

Before we begin, let me say that I do not develop for mobile phones only in Standalone. For example, I would call it a simple menu in 2D (not 3D backgrounds) non stylized (ie buttons, text and panel supplied base).

I have read virtually all the topics in this case involving the component "Reference Resolution". But something still blocking me in my thinking and practice. Maybe something completely stupid that I do not think the most logical way.

For mobile phones, I can understand because they can be turned in any direction (portrait and landscape), but I would have thought for a computer, there would be no worries.

I tried in 800x600, 1280x720 and 1920x1080 but when I look at how it reacted, rendering is strange. I want to say that for each of the resolutions specified reference, I exported a build (each time) and tried in full display different resolutions to see how it went.

I find it strange rendering, I find the result very pixelated (unless it appears in the same resolution as defined well heard)!

But, I must admit to being a little lost on how to go about creating a menu perfectly adaptable resolution to another (for a standalone build) = / I watched the video Learn, and even other found on Youtube but without much improvement to better understand where do I block.

I hope my English will not have been too hard to read (I'm French) and I thank you in advance for all the help, tips and advice you can give me!

Best regards
    LudlowFx

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You still have different aspect ratios to deal with on a computer - think 'widescreen vs. non-widescreen.'

Can you post some screenshots of what you're seeing?

3. Nazarick

Nazarick

Thank you for your answer. I took two screenshots with as "Reference Resolution" at 1920x1080.

- The first played in : 1920x1080
    - The second played in : 1280x720

Edit : Pixel Perfect is checked and If I uncheck Pixel Perfect, the result is the same.

Attached Files:

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

If that second screenshot was taken at resolution 1280x720, why is the screenshot 1920x1080?

5. Nazarick

Nazarick

Oh, I just realized my stupidity, you're right. I was trying to "1280x720" but my computer screen is always set to "1920x1080".

A very stupid mistake, I must say that I did there. I'll have to blow me again.

So, it is better to specify the current resolution of our pc as "Reference Resolution", is that right ?

So towards the choice between Width and Height, there is a preferred for computers?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014