Search Unity

1. Unity wants to learn about your experiences working on a Unity project today. We'd like to hear from you via this survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Refactor for 2.0

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by freso, Apr 16, 2021.

1. freso

freso

I know this is late feedback in the game, but, I am a bit dissapointed in the early coupling to XRController for Interactors and Interactables. If you have any refactoring plans for the future, here goes.

If I were you, I would have designed the Interactor/Interactable interaction (no pun intended), decoupled from the XRController. That whole system has nothing to do with any VR controllers.

I mean, a SocketInteractor could basically be a DirectInteractor with auto-select on.
    I would have loved to have had the Socket function "show hover mesh" on my DirectInteractor or RayInteractor.

Example: Let me set up 5 RayInteractors (let's call them UFO:s), that hovers an area randomly, and if they hit a target (let's call it cow), the target will be grabbed.

Example 2: Let me setup a HandRayInteractor that follows my hand, and when I press a button any valid target will be grabbed. (yes, an XRRayInteractor!)

unityunity