Search Unity

Reducing the apk size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mustafakin, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Mustafakin

Mustafakin

Hi all! I have a project based on playing videos and 10 or more high-quality 360 videos in it. Because these videos are high quality and large files, my apk size becomes huge like 5GB or so. I've searched on the internet for a solution and tried Addressables but can't get any results. Is there a way that I can reduce the size of the apk? Thanks in advance. (I've also tried Handbrake to compress the videos but the videos should remain in the same resolution and the project needs to work both online and offline)

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I‘ve worked on such an app and we were lucky to get the 5 threesixty videos down to just under 2 GB (with noticable loss in quality but not too bad) so we could actually MAKE an APK (size limit was or still is 2 GB).

Your only options are to recompress the videos significantly with the best possible compression method and setting while also not losing too much quality. Can‘t advise you here other than Premiere was used because this was done by someone else. But you will lose significant resolution and quality in the process.

As for addressables „can‘t get any results“ isn‘t very helpful. Adressables are your only option to keep the videos as they are. But you‘d force users to download 5GB possibly over the air which takes a long time and a big chunk of their monthly data limit (unless they have flatrate or wifi). This may be a viable solution for a corporate‘s internal app where users get instructions on how to work with the app but it would be unreasonable for Appstore consumers.

3. Mustafakin

Mustafakin

@SteffenItterheim Thank you so much for your reply. I've used the Addressables but because the app should work both offline and online I couldn't manage Addressables to work with it so it was my bad I guess. So, I'll try to minimize the size by compressing the videos thank you!!