Search Unity

Question Reduced CPU and RAM usage, but usage and cost reporting stays the same

Discussion in 'Game Server Hosting' started by MidnightGameDeveloper, Jan 7, 2023.

1. MidnightGameDeveloper

MidnightGameDeveloper

Hey,
    on 5. Januar I did update my Build configuration to use 300 MB of Ram instead of 550 MB and 300 MHz instead of 650 MHz. The problem is, that even now, where I only use half of the resources, it is still producing the same costs for me. (see screenshot)

I have optimized my build to run with these settings, and I can confirm that the server does not exceed these limits when I look at the analytics dashboard. My player base also didn't double over night, so I am not sure how this is possible.

Do I need to restart the fleet to make this changes taking affect?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  2. ajdaniel_unity

ajdaniel_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there. I cannot see specific details about your project or billing or that spending image but just check that it is a daily spend chart and not a cumulative spend chart. Also, despite reducing your server usage configuration, if you are running the same number of servers and machines, then the usage will be the same. We do not charge based on what your configuration is (that is used to help scaling) we charge on actual usage

3. MidnightGameDeveloper

MidnightGameDeveloper

Hi, thank you for your answer.
    So if I understand this correctly, this means it doesn’t matter how much servers can fit on a single machine as long as at least one server is running I will pay for the whole machine cost and not only the servers that are actually used?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  4. MidnightGameDeveloper

MidnightGameDeveloper

If you charge by actual usage then I still don't understand why my cost didn't reduce. I was able to optimize my build so that it uses pretty much half of the ram and cpu, at least that is what I see in the analytics charts from the servers. Still the costs are the same as if I would use the old build which was using much more ram and cpu.

EDIT: After reading this thread I do now understand the cost calculation.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023