Search Unity

Resolved Reduce size of normal maps

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by sarynth, Dec 5, 2020.

1. sarynth

sarynth

I tried to set "Max Size" of my normal map to 512, and hit apply, but it is still showing 2048x2048 20 megabytes.

What can I do to reduce the size a little if it isn't respecting the Max Size dropdown?

Thanks.

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

If you're still getting problems with this, the other option is to put the normal map in Photoshop or Gimp, make a copy of it and shrink it to 512 x 512 px.

3. sarynth

sarynth

Thanks for the idea, I agree that would probably work. Seems like there is probably a way to do it in unity, I just don't understand all of the options and advanced options for this import dialog process.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. sarynth

sarynth

Anyone else have any other ideas other than modifying the source images?

5. bgolus

bgolus

If the settings in the default tab aren't doing anything, that asset likely has the settings overridden in the platform specific tab. Beyond just the max size not being respected, it's also set to "normal quality" compression, but the texture format is uncompressed meaning it's for sure being overridden. Click on the tab with the upload_2020-12-7_16-41-48.png next to the Default tab and change the max size there, or uncheck the override.

doom0479 and dudester like this.
  6. sarynth

sarynth

I had thought I checked that once or twice already. I never use those overrides.

But, sure enough the override was set. Geez. Thanks.

7. doom0479

doom0479

Thank you