Search Unity

Discussion reduce editor garbage tricks

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by StarBornMoonBeam, May 8, 2023.

1. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

Below is shown a 10,000 fps bat and ball lol
    BAT.gif

Its made out of Rect Canvas Pixel Rect Science

But the editor is simply too heavy for it!

Ball.gif

We average 4000, 10000 frames per second. There is some minor rendering in the background.

But man does that editor tank. My FPS fluxuates 300FPS acknowledged on stats but editor steps in with chunks of heavy duty from time to time as i go about shrinking the bat and chasing the ball.

I wonder if some kind of low processing mode can be invented. Or maybe if an inspector update can be toggled. OR wahat not I don't know.

clearer.gif
    clearer show of FPS impact. it look like garbage spikes to me but its not my garbage so seems to be tucked into other section other garbage i imagine.

2. Bunny83

Bunny83

Why do you speculate? Open the profiler....

StarBornMoonBeam likes this.
  3. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

You know me bunny I am a dope

Il see what I can find

4. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

Just editor Loop
    EditorLoop.png

It just means that I need to build that game for reliable playtest result. 4.3% player loop goes to Camera Render

See the wave of garbage arrived Editor Loop.
    WAVE_OF_GARBAGE.png

To invent a low garbage mode. I understand for many of my games I don't even notice. But 20ms its pretty huge in the context of. If my 10,000 code runs in 25ms, an extra 20ms here is almost double. It seems to be telling me that 20ms is the difference between 160fps and 60 on the bank. or rather, 10,000 fps squeezes down to maybe 60-120fps in 20ms.

I guess the solution is to build test for smooth fps.

It says GC allocate zero but still costs 20ms and it looks like a garbage wave. So it must be garbage.

Even with camera off, and all objects inactive, Editor spikes are regular here. 10ms spikes and heavier waves break onto it.

Would it be possible to invent a play button that disables ability to edit during test? and in fact disables the entire editor and focusses on a launch? and on exit of that window we re-activate editor? Possible?

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  5. Bunny83

Bunny83

You do realise that you can expand those points in the profiler? When the garbage collector "collects" garbage it doesn't show up in the GC alloc column. As we can see the playerloop is allocating memory. So if the GC is causing those hicups, you should track down your GC allocs. Those will accumulate over time and have to be collected eventually.

6. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

With more scutiny;

It looks like when I pause the editor for a few seconds, and resume play, I create a wave of editor activity.

pause.png

here with nothing in hierarchy active
    nothing_on.png

Editor Connection. Poll All Custom Messages
    Editor Connection Check for Incoming Connections

oh here is asome info
    Unity - Scripting API: EditorConnection (unity3d.com)
    In theory I can destroy the instance for editor to check for player hm
    I will attempt.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   if (EditorConnection.instance != null)
    2.             Destroy(EditorConnection.instance);
    This one
    Unity - Scripting API: PollPlayerConnection (unity3d.com)
    as far as it can go, i'd have to remove the editor connection scripts and modify the editor i guess

7. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

Not to worry, it can get stable fast FPS while not looking at the profiler : )
    I hope it lasts

nice_stability.gif

8. StarBornMoonBeam

StarBornMoonBeam

Balls.gif

Having the Scene Camera closed works aswell.

But the problem fluctuates. Causes slow motion effect. Not a problem anyway. Just the editor is too havy