Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Redesing of 2D Game (lightning)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by ProExCurator, May 20, 2020.

1. ProExCurator

ProExCurator

I'm redesigning my game. I thought it'll be interesting solution to add the darkness and lighting up each part of level if the player will solve the "riddle" in specific part.

What do you think about it? What more can I do to make it better looking?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I guess that turning the lights on, for me, wouldn't really matter one way or the other. Maybe if turning on the lights lead to some second puzzle. But if I'm just going to leave the room immediately after solving the puzzle, it probably doesn't matter to me if the lights come on or not.

I'd caution you on relying too much on pure darkness being a mechanic. In this tiny room, you still spent around 10 seconds just brute force looking around for something to interact with. That will get frustrating very quickly for players. It will feel like you just need to walk over every square inch of the room looking for things. Most of that time will be pretty tedious. In other words, just walking around blindly in the dark for an entire game isn't very interesting. Maybe some way to guide the player towards important things?

ClaudiaTheDev and ProExCurator like this.