Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Redesigning assets from the assetstore

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by fveldijk, Oct 7, 2019.

1. fveldijk

fveldijk

Hi,

I am planning to do a game using mostly assets from the assetstore that I want to give my own textures to suit the style of my game.

I was wondering how asset makers think about this? Is this ok license wise? Would you have a problem with that as an asset creator?

2. The license specifically allows you to do that, so no matter what the publishers think. Although since they have released their products, they have agreed to it.

It is. Please read it precisely before you use the assets. https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

oh yeah dude, that is the purpose of many of these things.

i mean douoble check like ninja is saying, but many of these art assets are designed to be repurposed and reused. I am an artist but i always look for a premade pack to give me a jump start.

for instance, a new pack of enviro stuff just came out called "The Illustrated Nature" and it was perfect for me. I had a certain vision in mind for my environments, but i didn't have the experience to know what to do exactly to bring it to life. This package appears, and it's just the look I had in mind. So I start by chopping up and repurposing those models and textures, but now I am able to make my own stuff in the same style easily. Basically I have gained a huge forward leap by building from this incredible enviro artist's skill. And that's just what he wants to see. He wants people to share what they create from his work with him.

a lot of art publishers will be very happy to see what you can create with their stuff. it can be really fun to see how people springboard from what you've put out there.