Search Unity

Bug Redacted Feedback re Asset Store UPM

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Rowlan, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'm wondering if the developers use it themselves or not. I for sure wouldn't but now I'm forced to. Example:

I wanted to download the latest Mountain Trees update. For that I had to open the Package Manager and enter NatureManufacture.

1.jpg
    List is there, so far so good. But after like 10-20 seconds the update appears, with no indicator inbetween that a network connection is establed to even search for an update:

2.jpg

In the meantime I already switched to another window, i. e. chrome in order to see if that's really the latest update, because I didn't want to believe it.

But as soon as I switch back the update is removed again and I can't even click on it. Seriously, has anyone even tested this?

3.jpg

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Now that the update is gone, the next logical step would be to refresh manually. So I pressed the refresh button on the bottom of the screen

4.jpg
    You can clearly see that there's still naturemanufacture as search term in the search bar on the top right.

But what happens? The whole list gets deleted and I see all the assets I have to the left

5.jpg

With my search term still to the top right, clearly not used as filter.

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

And instead of listing all the available packages, why do I have to hit the "3" on the bottom?

6.jpg

Ryiah and Tudor_n like this.
  4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Then I entered the search term "water".

8.jpg
    Why would it list 13 of 77 packages? Is that a remainder from earlier?

I want all the assets listed which match the search term, not just 13. The list is alphabetically ordered, it's not likely that the searched asset is in the top of the list.

schmosef, Ryiah and Tudor_n like this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Also the update fetcher clearly needs an indicator that it's searching for an update. Something appearing and disappearing out of the blue is horrific usability.

And I already filed a bug report the refresh issue because the search list was empty. Now it's filled with all assets on the refresh:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-when-reloading-packages-in-my-assets-section

and

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...t-displayed-below-and-neither-do-they-refresh

A working Search mechanism is one of the things that one has to rely on. As problematic as the old Asset Store mechanism was, that one was way better, at least the search worked and you could clearly see if there's an update or not.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    schmosef, Ryiah and Tudor_n like this.
  6. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

I have a distinct feeling the asset store will be making its way back shortly. Accessing it through the package manager is hilarious, at best.

Either that or it missing entirely from pac. man minus My Assets. AKA, use the browser to browse the asset store + buy and the pac. man to install/ update ( as annoying as that can be sometimes too ). This would be how people use any other package manager anyway as they all suck at browsing packages.

The third option is Unity making this decision purely based on financial reasons. AKA, the purchases from the editor are eclipsed by those from the browser. If you ignore it's other uses and have a typical corporate mindset one can argue a "successful cost reduction strategy" by replacing the feature with a much simpler one - pac. man. This sounds corporate enough to be the most likely one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    schmosef and Rowlan like this.
  7. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hi Rowlan,

Thank you very much for taking time to clearly illustrate your issues with 'My Assets' window. I first noticed you seemed to own 2,426 assets. Is it true? This is not something we are used to test with internally! If that's the case, I will make sure the PackMan UX dev team knows that.

Could you reply with the Unity version you used to report these issues? We fixed some problems around 'My Assets' window.

We are working on a re-design of the pagination (Load more). I will forward your post to the designer to take your remarks into account.

Again, thank you kindly for taking time to report your issues.

8. artysta

artysta

I find it unusable. I can't update any of my assets. It says there's an update yet when I try to update it fails and drops back to an older version and I can no longer update. If I go to the Asset Store Page, it shows the updated version. I find it a horrible mess to use because it doesn't work, and if I do get one of my updates to work, it cancels out the other 5 I had. I feel like I now can't get the value I paid for. Im using 2020.1 and if an asset gets updated for that, I can't get it. Bad.

Rowlan likes this.
  9. Rowlan

Rowlan

edit: seems to work now

---

Thanks for getting back :)

Actually I just noticed the number of assets is wrong. Package Manager shows 2433 packages

pm.png

while on the Asset Store I have 2445:

store.png

Unity version for the test was 2020.1.1f1.

Please also note this thread I created independently:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/package-manager-scans-files-it-shouldnt.948289/

There might be a conflict with other versions of the same asset in the Asset Store folder, that I don't know, I didn't check that. But whatever files I have in my folders shouldn't be any of the Package Manager's concern. Or at least it should resolve the files properly.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    schmosef likes this.
  10. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hi Rowlan,

Thank you very much for your answers. I will definitely forward your problems to the team. Asset Store vs My Assets should offer a frictionless UX. The discrepancy with number of assets from Asset Store vs My Assets is new to us. We will investigate with the Asset Store dev team...

Thanks again for bringing this up

schmosef, Lars-Steenhoff and Rowlan like this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Great, thank you! Feel free to access my account for that. I don't think it's because of deprecated assets. But I've become a publisher recently. I noticed I get duplicate mails after a purchase since then. And it could add up that I purchased around 12 assets since then and that's where the difference comes from. But that's just a guess.

12. hoodoo

hoodoo

Using 2020.1.2f1 -- how do I get the list of my assets that have updates available? There should be a UI control for this, but if there is I can't seem to find it...

Also, I see several of these timeout errors:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  13. artysta

artysta

You can change the filter to last updated, which puts anything needing updating to the top of the list.
    Is it perfect, no way as it still works once then fails.
    I did one thing that has improved my use of this. I deleted all my download assets from the hidden directory and then went back to the Asset Store and now everything seems to be working better as I re-download.

hoodoo likes this.
  14. hoodoo

hoodoo

Thanks, do you mean the Sort:Update date ^ ? There's no filter that I can find to just show packages in need of update, like what we had in the Asset Store view.

15. Scytheria

Scytheria

Having spent a small fortune (for me) on assets last week, I'm so glad I downloaded them before the bloody Package Manager decided, out of the blue, to fail to detect any of the packages I've bought. Or any packages at all for that matter. They're clearly listed in My Assets in the store, but now totally unobtainable via Unity or the Open in Unity functions.

Most of the time, the PM simply says that I don't have any. Occasionally I get this error:

[PackageManager] Error Failed to parse response. UnityEditor.AsyncHTTPClient:Done(State, Int32)

Having trawled these forums and the internet for answers (none worked), I have to ask that this problem (which so many Unity users are experiencing) is dealt with. Simplest answer, just let us download our assets from the store and keep them safe.

16. asenff

asenff

I am unable to import packages from the package manger, however downloading the package and dragging it to the window works.

When I click the download button on package manager nothing happens. Is there something I am doing wrong?

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

These new systems that are half ready and released without any testing drive me crazy, now i cant even start my projects because of that package manager, i want to work with Unity can cant even start it, this has now gone beyond buggy, is simply a throw in the garbage this package manager and restart case.

Rowlan likes this.
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm also nearing 2000 assets, please ask us anything

I asked many times for a load all button for this reason

Rowlan likes this.
  19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think the only reason pagination is in there is because it was in the asset store.
    Pagination does not belong in the editor, Or do you want to have pagination in the hierarchy ? no right? nobody wants pagination in a standalone app.

in a web-browser yes maybe because of long loading makes users think that the page is not loading.

schmosef, bradbecker and Mark_01 like this.
  20. bradbecker

bradbecker

Personally, I'd rather have MyAssets cached and all present in categories (Tools, 2d, 3d, Audio, etc) with a Check For Updates button. For those of us with hundreds or thousands of assets, it makes sense to at least show the list of categories and then maybe have to click to open the category branch to see the individual assets in there.

21. bradbecker

bradbecker

What is the recommended way in existing projects to move to the package manager version of assets that are already in the project from the asset store?

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Most asset store packages are not real package manager packages. you can easy switch to using the package manager because it will just open the asset store unity package.

23. bradbecker

bradbecker

Ugh, so until those 3rd parties update their packages, the package manager won't show them as "in the project" and I'll have to manually track everything.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

25. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

'Load All' is in progress...

Attached Files:

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Super good to hear! Thanks for that

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

I guess it could be tricky to solve, but I'd appreciate if the package manager wouldn't scan my entire assets directory before it opens my assets. That always takes quite some time since I have a lot on my disk. I guess it would suffice when it only checks what I have downloaded when I click on an asset.

Westland and Skewbald_Mare like this.
  28. Rowlan

Rowlan

Seriously, please remove the local assets scan. I get the shivers every time I have to press "My Assets" only to access a new asset I purchased. The wait is untolerable.

29. Rowlan

Rowlan

I explicitly chose 2019 for a new project because of the ways the package manager is broken.

What fresh hell is this that Unity wants to enforce now in 2019? :mad:
    huntress.png

It's a model, but I can't download it because of the text below the Download button: "Needs Unity upgrade to version 2020.1.6"

30. JoNax97

JoNax97

What thaaaaaa hell

Westland likes this.
  31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think this is because that asset is uploaded by the publisher with unity version 2029.1.6.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  32. Rowlan

Rowlan

I thought as well there'd be some artificial limit, but imo Unity should just warn me and let me download nontheless. So I had to install 2020.1.6 only to download the asset and afterwards drag the unitypackage into my 2019 project which worked without any problems at all.

I'm still getting angry all the time when I open the package manager only for it to scan 100 Gigabytes of purchased assets that I have on my disk. While at the same time I need only 1.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  33. Rowlan

Rowlan

In 2020.1.6 the package manager still seems to be broken. It imports the old versions of assets I have instead of the latest one.

Example, I have:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unity\Asset Store-5.x\MalberS Animations\3D ModelsCharactersAnimals\old\Horse Animset Pro Riding System - 2020-06-09.unitypackage
    2. Unity\Asset Store-5.x\MalberS Animations\3D ModelsCharactersAnimals\Horse Animset Pro Riding System.unitypackage
    The package manager imports the file old\Horse Animset Pro Riding System - 2020-06-09.unitypackage, i. e. it seems the first it finds after doing a recursive search in the base folder.

34. Rowlan

Rowlan

The version numbering is broken:

nums.png

Which one is it, 2.02 or 2.2.0?

charlesb_rm likes this.
  35. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey @Rowlan, I'll send these over to the team for you.

I hope this helps!

Rowlan likes this.
  36. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've been waiting for a minute now. Still no update button. It clearly shows there is a new version on the store, but I can't get an option to update.

pmbug.png
    Now I'm going to install 2019 only to be able to download the update of an asset that I purchased. And then I have to install manually.

Edit: big nice and blue "Update" button in 2019:

update working.png

37. starfoxy

starfoxy

I'm having issues with the package manager too. Many of my assets simply show :

An error occurred: Failed to parse response: Code 0 "Connection timed out after 5000 milliseconds"

Is anyone else getting this error? Any solutions out there? I'm running Unity 2020.2.0b4.

An additional note...I know its not proxy, firewall, etc. as many of my assets do show up properly but almost as many do not.

Update...
    Just tried with an install of 2020.2.0b5. Same problem.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  38. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

What about on a non-beta version?

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

I created a hdrp project, removed all example data. Saved it. Now I try to import Unity's own Asian Garden and it hangs there for no reason in "Saving unsaved assets":

ag.png

Unity 2020.1.9f1, HDRP 9

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

41. Rowlan

Rowlan

I've been struggling with a DXR bug and was searching for the HDRP config which might differ after the upgrade from 9 to 10. At first I thought it might have been removed. After some searches in the package manager I finally found it:

hdrp mess.png
    Why this needs to be in a different category "Other" I have no idea. Also it's obvious that there can easily be version problems, the config after the upgrade is still 9 while HDRP is 10.

42. praagmatic

praagmatic

I totally agree with this post

1 big problem I am having with Unity 2020(1.2) is that new assets I buy are not added to "my assets" in the package manager despite numerous restarts and refreshes

If I go back to 2019, I just click the asset store, my assets, and its there. Where is the improvement? -_-

I have had to revert to Unity 2019 for my current project because I cannot waste the time waiting for the useless package manager

JoNax97 and asonze like this.
  43. shawnblais

shawnblais

Im sure these have all been mentioned here, but I posted several specific issues with package manager over here: https://forum.unity.com/posts/6423027/

I have the same question. Did anyone really test this? The problems show up almost immediately, and if you showed this to any proper UX designer they would laugh (or maybe cry)

Main asks are:
    * Searching My Assets should be instant, cache it in some intelligent way.
    * Get rid of paging completely in My Assets, it's annoying
    * Always retain last category + search and result-set
    * Fix the buggy search debouncer that consistently misses queries,
    * show proper loading spinner when searching/loading

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    BradZoob and Rowlan like this.
  44. shawnblais

shawnblais

As a reference, take a look at VSCode, they are managing 10,000+ plugins or so, 1/2s load times always, no paging, lazy load and caching for all package metadata:

BradZoob and hanneshogni like this.
  45. Rowlan

Rowlan

The search is still broken. I wanted to install Unity's own Terrain Tools, but when searching for "terrain tools" I get all kinds of assets listed:

tt.png

And as described above: I really don't care whether I have that on my system or not. Please stop the time consuming scanning of my hard disk. I'm only interested in the local availability once I click on an asset.

shawnblais likes this.
  46. Rowlan

Rowlan

Any update on this? I just wasted 30 minutes of my time and the publishers time to solve a bug only to realize that the Package Manager yet again installed an old version of an asset.

47. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Hey Rowlan, I hope you're well :)

Nothing concrete yet. I'm still keen to get your concerns addressed so I'll update you once I have something from your team.

48. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yeah, I hope you're well as well, especially these times. Unity in lockdown gives time for checking out awesome assets.

If you want me to make a dedicated bug report with all details listed, just let me know. Reason for the bump is that I've noticed others have problems as well, but don't voice their experience. Here's eg a quote from someone else from discord:

Me after I noticed I annoyed the publisher with a bug which actually was already fixed, but the PM imported an old version:
    Other person:
    I don't see a point in not voicing this bad experience. If nobody says anything, it'll stay this way :)

49. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

To be frank with you, I would feel worse if people did not post their bad experiences. I take pleasure in raising these things internally for you but these are just not things that can be replied to quickly :)

Rowlan likes this.
  50. BradZoob

BradZoob

Does Unity use democratic processes to establish internal development approaches?
    Do you have external consultants audit those development goals for coherency?
    Is unity running automatic tests against assets as they're added/updated in the store?
    Does unity account for survivorship bias in their balance sheets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.