Search Unity

Red Herring's Multi-Level Shrubbery Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by duhprey, Nov 8, 2013.

1. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Having not motions is ok , but will it follow the mesh deformations ?
    Moreover can i use animated objects as paint material ? (paint animated grass on rocks for example)

2. duhprey

duhprey

Unfortunately, no. It wouldn't follow motion or deformation as is. In fact, there are issues with scale as well (although I imagine fixing that would fix the related).

Animated grass is more likely, especially if it only deforms. Already provided are shaders that deform the grass according to a simulated wind. Having that work with an animation clip instead may not be too much more difficult.

However, you can't currently paint skinned mesh renderer objects.

3. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Ok thank you , looking forward for these features , thnx for replying again !!

4. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Hi @duhprey , I have a few questions:
    • Is this asset still being developed?
    • Would you consider supporting 5.6?
    • Do you foresee any incompatibility if shrubbery is used for a mobile project?

Thanks!
    ben

5. twobob

twobob

I forsee issues on mobile. fwiw.

"
    That's exactly it. It creates two triangles (one square) for each grass instance rotated randomly around the normal (the normal points based on how you set things.. see the video)

Theres also a detail mesh version that essentially paints any mesh in the same way. Although it works with any mesh this is really meant for low poly, small meshes that aren't part of the game but add static details. Like small mushrooms growing in a cave, or piles of dust or something like that.

And the point in either case is to allow you to paint lots of these details without impacting performance as much as possible
    "​

So if you and your devices can work within that, then good. if not then no.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

hey thanks @twobob for the info! I suspect I can work within these constraints.
    Did you have the opportunity to test this asset on 5.6?

7. duhprey

duhprey

Hi @pro-bchevalier,

This isn't under active development, but I'll still do my best to respond to bug reports as they come in. I'll look into supporting 5.6. I agree with @twobob. I tested on mobile to make sure it was functional and reasonable (quite a while ago now), but its much easier to draw too many elements for mobile with this method.

Thanks!

8. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Hello @duhprey ,

Thanks so much for looking into this.
    Your tool is currently the only solution that could properly replace the unity grass/details system. We're already using them, it runs just fine but would like a more flexible solution as we have a lot of mesh overlays that would really need grass/details as well.
    We're making sure that grass/details only kick in at a specific distance from the camera and we keep the density consistent.

I have an additional question: does shrubbery creator support billboard for the grass? And if not, do you foresee any complications if we were to add support by ourselves?

Please let me know how the 5.6 support is looking.

Thanks a lot!
    ben

9. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Hi @duhprey , I'd suspect that you're being busy, but would you have an ETA in mind for simply checking Unity 5.6 compatibility with Shrubbery Creator in its current version?
    And also, would you have any pointers on how to implement billboards into shrubbery?

Thanks,
    ben

10. duhprey

duhprey

@pro-bchevalier good question. It looks like a number of things have changed recently in terms of moving around the Scene view (which breaks Shrubbery's drawing) and it also has a few other issues creeping in there. I'm guessing it'll be a week or two before I can sort it all out.

11. pro-bchevalier

pro-bchevalier

Thanks for the update on this @duhprey !

12. duhprey

duhprey

Okay a new completely refactored version has been submitted for approval, hopefully it'll ready soon.

13. PiotrW

PiotrW

Is it working with 2017.3 or 2018? For me it hang/freeze my computer and consume a lot of memory to place grass on rock and Unity die

14. duhprey

duhprey

This may be due to the scale of the object you're painting onto. There are some pre-existing issues with the scale different than 1 or changing the scale after painting down shrubbery.

15. duhprey

duhprey

Unity Terrain is much better for very large areas, especially with full coverage. This creates polydata and ends up being very large in that situation, better to use it to add refinement on model details that are added to the terrain.