Search Unity

Red entry in the transform mask: what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Baste, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

I've got an entry in the transform mask under the animation import that's red. I can't find any information about what that signifies.

What I mean is that under this list:

ThisOne.png

There's an entry that looks like this:

RedEntry.png

Why is that red? What does that mean? The bone's not mentioned in any of the import messages.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Seems from the notification - the red text denotes a bone/joint that does not match the transform hierarchy - which means the animation may not import correctly. But - what transform hierarchy exactly? The avatar transform hierarchy?

Does clicking the update mask button in the first image change the color back to white = normal?

3. Baste

Baste

Yes, it does!

That makes sense, I suppose.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Kind of o_O - a more detailed warning message would be nice though. Glad to help. ;)
    It is odd it only warned on that one node - the others did not receive that warning. I wonder why that warning was for that one node only?

Looks like a pretty complex facial rig!

5. Baste

Baste

It's because that exact bone was renamed after the model was imported into Unity. You can see that it's named _driver, and there's a bone under it named _r_driver. The first one should've been named _l_driver.

It would be immensely helpful if it said (bone not found in rig) after the bone name. The error message about non-matching paths should also be red - I simply didn't notice it. Hell, I posted it on the forums, and still didn't notice it.

Close-up rig for conversations. There's 90 blend shapes. Those bones are blend shape drivers - the blend shapes are animated through setting constraints to those bones in blender, and then we have a script that re-creates those constraints in Unity. It was the only way we figured to export blend shape animations from Blender to Unity. If you have a better idea of how to do that, I'd love to hear it, because all of those bones getting animated are not free.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I hear that - that many bones animating will be expensive, though if it is a cut-scene hopefully less action is taking place so might be acceptable during those sequences.
    Unfortunately I do not know blender well. I hardly ever - EVER use it.
    For pre-baked animated morphs - I believe this is similar to how it is done in all other 3D packages, so the animations do not have to be created in Unity after export.