Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

RED CRUCIBLE - New Arena!!!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GI_JOEJK, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

2. GrimWare

GrimWare

Looks good. I tried logging on today to no avail, was it down with the new update?

3. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Sorry about that, we have had more then 140k plays since Monday. And have had to scramble to upgrade our servers just to keep up with the new demand. What happens is that our master server crashes (its still beta) when we hit 300 players at once. But we are fixing ASAP. So if the server/game is down just check in 15 min it should be back up.

Thanks for playing! ;)

RC Team

4. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Some screen shots of tonight's game play session ;)

As always, you can access Red Crucible through Facebook or directly from our site as well as Wooglie.com.

Cheers!
    RC Team

5. GrimWare

GrimWare

I played some today. Wow it's really gaining popularity, there were probably 50 servers being hosted.

I joined a random one and did pretty well. Keep up the good work !

6. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

i cant join any server -.-

7. HDDEAD

HDDEAD

I've already played Red Crucible. It'a an awesome game! But, can you lightmap, the maps? Please! The game will be better and smoother. It's cuz my machine is so low-end :(

8. bgivenb

bgivenb

+1 I dont konw why you didn't lightmap in the first place.

9. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Try setting the graphics quality setting to "low" (in the "options" menu).

Red Crucible is a server side web browser game, as such we REALLY need to limit the amount and size of the game the players need to download every time they play. It is true that lightmaps are easier on slower computers but they also add a few megabits to every download. Now consider that currently we have around 18-28k players per day (and growing). This would mean that you would need to download 1 to 3 MB (light maps) on top of the 10-15 MB (the game) for every download. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it does add up very quickly when there are thousands of players downloading multiple times per day. The other thing is, most of the arenas are 700 meters (or bigger) and I do not want to use blurry low rez lightmaps, on the other hand real time shadows don't add to the download size . I know this has an impact on lower end computers, but the game was design to target mid to high range machines.

Btw, you might be asking why we don't just have our players keep the game in their browser cache? They can, but we do not recommend it. We update the game multiple times per day, and the old game data (in their browser cache) could and does cause problems for the player.

I will continue to test out lightmaping, and when I get it to work I will convert all of the arenas.

Cheers!
    GI_JOEJK

10. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Look for a major game update in a few weeks, this is increase numbers exponentially....

11. froekoe

froekoe

i love the game, have been playing this game for +- 30 min and highest streak is 28 :D,
    The only - is that its to hard to aim with a assault rifle :D

12. bgivenb

bgivenb

I play it on my PC. For some reason, it seem really easy to get kills. Is it my internet? I usually end up with like 25 kills/ 5 deaths. Myabe im just good at it. :D

13. HDDEAD

HDDEAD

Thanks for the reply! But anyway i prefer to use lightmaps, but, the game is yours, you're the boss. My computer isn't too much slow, it runs about 20+ fps, but for a shooter i think this is slow. And you said you update the game everyday, and, do you update the levels too? Cuz, if not, i think you can cache only the lightmaps. Or am i wrong?

14. techmage

techmage

Your netcode feels really good, are you using the built-in Unity netcode or something else?

15. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Its all the new players (canon fodder). Enjoy the easy kills while you can, they are getting better real fast!

16. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

We built ours on top of Unity's netcode, replacing or heavily modifying most of it.

17. GI_JOEJK

GI_JOEJK

Just right click your mouse button and you will get iron sights. But when using the iron sights you do slow down to a walk making you an easier target.

18. granada

granada

Just played this,great fun.Keep up the good work.

dave

19. lee74saurusr3x

lee74saurusr3x

You did a very nice job! Good work!

unityunity