Search Unity

Recurring limitation: Camera feed lag in Android

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by henriqueranj, Feb 12, 2018.

1. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello,

Currently in Android the Vuforia camera feed lags when any Android native dialog overlays the app and I think this should be reported officially by the Vuforia team.

This issue has been reported for more than 1 year and 1 month of silence from the Vuforia team, and there is no solution or workaround: https://developer.vuforia.com/forum/issues-and-bugs/camera-lags-android

With this the Vuforia team should report this explicitly as a known issue, because any AR app with Vuforia in Android 6 or older will have its camera feed and tracking lagging when an Android softkeyboard/notification/status bar/etc overlays the app.

Therefore, it is impossible to develop an app that requires user text/number input via soft keyboard, as the amount of lag in camera feed makes the tracking unusable.

I am creating this thread in the Unity forum to create more awareness as currently in the Vuforia's official forums there has been silence for a while.

wunder-ilmari likes this.
  2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @henriqueranj

I responded in the thread you linked.

We have received no updates on the issue beyond the fix being present on devices running Android 7 or later. I'll post any updates we receive to that same thread.

I'll talk with the team about mentioning it in our known issues.

Thanks

henriqueranj likes this.
  3. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Thank you @Vuforia-Strasza , I understand the issue is on Unity side as any other AR platform out there has this same issue.

I hope they contribute with you in a timely manner to get this fixed.

Vuforia-Strasza likes this.
  4. BEFaughnan

BEFaughnan

I'm right there with ya, this bug makes AR on android devices DoA.

5. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

@Vuforia-Strasza

This bug has been fixed for all Android versions with Unity 2017.3.1p4.

By looking at the changelog for this patch, I can only relate the following to this problem (https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/2017.3.1p4):

XR: Improved background rendering performance in ARCore by eliminating an unnecessary OpenGL state reset.

Can we have an official clarification from the Vuforia support team on this fix?

wunder-ilmari likes this.
  6. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

@henriqueranj It appears to be fixed for all Android versions from my tests.

henriqueranj likes this.