Search Unity

Recreating Placing and Breaking Blocks from Minecraft

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NoahMewes, May 12, 2018.

1. NoahMewes

NoahMewes

Hi!

Recently I have been trying to recreate placing and breaking blocks from Minecraft. I set it up using individual gameobjects for each block, however I realize that it is not efficient and will cause performance issues down the road. From what I understand, I believe voxels would be the way to go? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Most resources I have found about creating Voxel based systems like this focus heavily on the procedural worlds, which is not what I want. I simply want only placing and breaking blocks, nothing to do with world generation. If someone could help me, or point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

2. kne4752

kne4752

im very new so not sure if this is gonna be helpful but the one ive seen is where you only place the planes that you can see, to cut down on preformance... idk if thats helpful at all XD ive been jsut fiddling with deleting prefabs on a click for the last 5 hrs XD if your still wondering 5 years later, i saw a tutorial that tells you how to make the things your talking about. jsut search up "making minecraft in unity" on youtube. have a nice day!