Search Unity

Recording in Timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by leesolarflare, Oct 24, 2019.

1. leesolarflare

leesolarflare

So i'm trying to use the Unity Recorder to record from the Timeline.

I have it all hooked up. But when i play the timeline it doesn't record the frames.

If i play the scene in the editor, it steps through and records the frames, but reaches the end of the Timeline and continues to record. So I end up with loads of extra frames, especially if leaving over night.

Is there a way, to record within the Timeline playback. Or a way to tell the editor to stop playing once it reaches the end of the Timeline?

I have checked all the official documentation on Unity Recorder & Timeline, but it doesn't reference actually pressing the big Play button.

Official Documentation:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.recorder@2.0/manual/index.html

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Lee

2. Olmi

Olmi

leesolarflare likes this.
  3. leesolarflare

leesolarflare

Thanks Olmi, will have to look into signals to see how to get that to wokr.

4. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hello @leesolarflare!

I just went through the documentation and it's indeed missing a bit information on how to start a recording using timeline clips. Once you have your Recorder clips setup with the appropriate settings in your timeline you can start the recording with the "Play" button at the top of the Unity interface (not the big button in the Recorder window).

During play mode, the timeline will go through your Recorder clip and generate the appropriate output. Unity will stay in play mode until you stop it manually but there won't be extra frames recorded if you leave it alone overnight.

Alternatively, the big play button in the Recorder window is used to trigger the recorders that are set-up within that window (which are slightly different from recorder clips in the timeline).

Let us know how that goes for you and if you are still experiencing some issues afterwards.

Cheers!

Gryflir likes this.