Search Unity

Recording behaviour is super weird

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by AcidArrow, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So I want to make a cutscene with timeline.

I want the camera to move a little, then have a hard cut to a different camera movement (or a static shot), while other things are happening.

Sounds simple enough, right?

So. Let's start by recording a simple camera animation.

1.jpg

Here we go, that was simple enough. But since I want hard cuts I want next to have a completely separate clip. So before we record more stuff, let's turn this into a clip so it's its own thing, so we can then start a new clip.

2.jpg

Also super easy.

Now let's record a new clip after this one. So we hit record...

3.jpg

And set a keyframe.

4.jpg

And... he-... Wait. What? It extended our previous clip? Which is exactly what I wanted to avoid?

Why?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

But the weirdness doesn't stop there, let's undo what we did, and move the clip to the right.
    5.jpg

Now let's move to the left and try recording there.

6.jpg

Wait... So, now it creates a new clip? Why? Why is the behaviour different if I am before an already existing clip or after?

How does this make any sense?

How is this a good workflow?

I mean, I can stop recording and place the clips how I want them now:

7.jpg

But that means that every time I want to add another clip, I have to move everything to the right, record something on the left, and then reorder everything again... Because...?

Am I missing something obvious here?

3. Christine_R

Christine_R

Unity Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to point out the issue. We're aware that this workflow needs to be looked into and are working on a more predictable experience.

AcidArrow likes this.