Search Unity

Question Recorder - Spatial Super Sampled AA

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by newguy123, Mar 13, 2021.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Unity Team

For the Unity Recorder, for film projects, can we get a Spatial Super Sampled AA feature please?

When using HDRP and Raytracing, non of the 3 available options give clean crisp AA.
    TAA is sort of the best of the 3, but it is way too blurry. TAA also seem to have many artifacts when sampling bright areas against darker areas. TAA is nowhere near what I would expect on detailed textures and geometry, especially for film projects.

2. newguy123

newguy123

@SebLagarde
    @chap-unity
    @auzaiffe
    @pierred_unity
    @markvi
    @unitybru

Apologies for tagging so many of you guys, but after trying to solve this issue for almost 2 months and looking at various 3rd party assets in the hopes of a fix, I'm close to throwing in the towel...

This is early stages of a much larger cinematic film (not a game and not a realtime app) which will use HDRP and raytracing (no pathtracing), however its impossible to clean up the AA on the GEOMETRY. Typically models we work with, will have a LOT of detail in geometry and it not for realtime apps, but mainly for film work. I've tried various combinations of TAA, but it just doesnt cut it. Can we maybe get some kind of spatial super sampling like that "other engine" use during offline output?

upload_2021-3-16_13-36-48.png

upload_2021-3-16_13-37-8.png

On the other hand as a test, if I switch of raytracing, and switch to forward rendering and enable MSAA X 8, everything is looking crisp and lovely, however then I loose all raytracing benefits such as Raytraced GI, Raytraced relfection, raytraced shadows, etc.

Also, I'm outputting this with Unity recorder, so posting this in both threads as the info may overlap to various teams in Unity

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. newguy123

newguy123

A reply from one of the tagged Unity guys, or any other official Unity person, would sure be greatly appreciated, especially now that the 2021 tech stream is out...

@markvi

4. newguy123

newguy123

@cguertin @markvi

Things seems a little better with the latest tech stream, I'm geussing somethign in HDRP and raytracing changed. (and possibly TAA)

Anyway, I've now upgraded to Recorder 2.6.0-exp.4
    Could you please explain the Texture Sampling source properties. This almost sounds like the super sampling request I have
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...1557059478#texture-sampling-source-properties

However, my Recorder is in the timeline for offline rendering and we've animated some thigns via timeline. Our source is therefore GameView.

The Texture sampling only works with well, texture sampling. I tried that, but when pressing play, it just shows blank screen with no camera. How is the texture sampling source suppose to be used?

What's the best way to use Recorder with timeline and output HIGH QUALITY film and visualization projects?

Also, the notes about the new version mentione some features of teh AOV recorder is now integrated:
    upload_2021-3-26_21-29-16.png

However, in my clip, I don't see any of that:
    upload_2021-3-26_21-30-25.png