Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Recorder NOT recording Camera aperture ISO and how about "record a take" to Timeline?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Dirrogate, May 17, 2020.

1. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

@cguertin @mikew_unity @chafik_unity Any one of you know how Recorder can be made to do a "proper" recording of Camera parameters?
    Unity_recorder_notRecordingCamera_aperture.JPG
    It does not seem to record ISO, Aperture, Exposure, DoF etc.
    Thankfully it's recording Focal length...at least.

This looks like serious lapse on the path of the Physical Camera dev team - that these parameters are abstracted out to a "volume" instead of belonging to it's namesake: A physical camera.

At any rate, it's beyond my coding skills to do it myself, but really, I'd think these parameters would have been tested out to make sure *all* Camera parameters get recorded?

As a Cinematographer / filmmaker looking at using Unity (instead of Unreal Engine) it's becoming a full time trouble shooting service.

Suggestion: recorder tracks on Timeline
    Intuitively one would think "recorder" would be akin to a take recorder, where you could lay out "recorder" tracks on the timeline of objects/cameras/lights and then do live recording takes (of their parameters being manipulated as keyframes) at runtime. Is this not the case? or am I missing something obvious.

Kind Regards

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    realcosmik likes this.
  2. Enigma229

Enigma229

Is the HDRP being used?

3. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Yes.
    Hdrp is the way forward in Unity, we've been told.
    And, i'd assume more so, for cinematic work.

4. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hi @Dirrogate! Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. We did a bit of digging and uncovered a limitation in the Recorder that is preventing the proper recording of these parameters. The issue has been logged in our database for further development.

Yes! You should be able to do what you have described. The rough steps are:
    1. Create a Recorder Track in your timeline (See Recorder doc for more information)
    2. Add a Recorder Clip to that track
    3. In the Recorder Clip's Inspector, change the "Selected Recorder" to "Animation Clip". Then assign the object whose parameter you want to record on the "Game Object".
    4. Enter Play Mode
    During play mode, the parameters of the assigned object will be recorded and should also be able to manipulate them live (for the duration of the Recorder clip in your timeline).

Once the Recorder clip's end is reached, a ".anim" file will have been created on disk with the recorded animation which can be applied back on the object.

Let us know if that doesn't work for you. Cheers!

Dirrogate likes this.
  5. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Thanks @cguertin . I think the step I was missing is using "Play" . I was instead, (logically/intutively) using the record button on the timeline and/or recorder window.

Please do! This has completely stalled my plans to use Unity as a Virtual Production tool. I'm doing my best not to have to jump to Unreal Engine (and their take recorder/sequencer) for filmmaking and Virtual Production.

Suggestion: The recorder window should also be "resizable" when docked. It's a fixed width currently and quite impractical to use unless docked on the bottom toolbar as a tab.

I highly recommend the team involved with development / ownership of the Unity Physical Camera, escalate to a critical level , the shortcomings of their implementation of the camera (nonsensical DoF / ISO / Exposure implementation)

6. fablemaker

fablemaker

just adding a +1 bump on this, as would be great to see Recorder able to capture these parameters, for virtual film production purposes, in particular 'sensorSize' and 'gateFit' of the Physical camera!

Plus noting can recorder capture the 'weight' of a game object? This would be really useful (I'm on Recorder v2.1.0, although I don't see this fixed in the newer version's changelog). Currently no 'weight' recording for animating game objects/volumes eg pps volume.

realcosmik and Dirrogate like this.