Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Recorder not auto incrementing <take> for image sequence?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Yukken, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Yukken

Yukken

I was having an issue with the image sequence recording where it seemed to be recording only a small amount of images even though it was supposed to be recording them every frame. I later realized that it was doing that but the generated name of the image(<Scene><Take><Time>) was the same because the take count was only incrementing after I stopped a recording session!
    Not only that, the <Time> only counts up to minutes. Which means, it was only making a new image every minute and reupdating the same image(due to having the same name) 3600 times per minute.
    This is absolutely useless for recording high speed stuff.
    There should be an option to update the take every time an image is taken in image sequence mode.

And also, why can't I start the recorder in Play mode?

2. akent99

akent99

I think you want <Frame> instead of <Take>. Each time you start a recording, the take number goes up. The frame number goes up each image in a recording clip.

(I don't have an answer for the recorder in Play mode. I only ever use Recorder in a Timeline, so play mode starts playing the timeline and it records what it plays. Maybe it assumes the recorder will only be started from timeline clips in play mode?)

antoinecharton and vladala like this.
  3. Yukken

Yukken

Thanks. I only started using the recorder recently so I thought I was missing something.
    Yeah it seems that the recorder is built on the assumption of recording a timeline when you hit play. Which is a shame because my use case is taking interesting gameplay shots/Gifs when I feel like I did something cool while testing things.

4. antoinecharton

antoinecharton

Unity Technologies

Hello,

You should be able to record in play mode. Could you check you don't have any warnings at the bottom of the window. For example if you have the same output name for 2 recorders it will prevent you from recording. The recorder window is completely independent from timeline you shouldn't have to do anything.
    If you need some help troubleshooting could you share a screen shot of your recorder window and the console?

Let us know :)

5. Yukken

Yukken

Okay this is a bit late but when I meant that I can't record in play mode, I meant that if I hit the record button in play mode, it waits for me to stop the play mode and restart(it literally says "waiting for playmode to start" when I'm in play mode) which is absolutely useless. That's what I meant when I said it felt like it was built with only timeline in mind.

Also, can I also say that the recording settings system has issues. Framerate and record intervals are not tied to recorders. I may want to have a low framerate gif recorder and a high framerate video recorder. I don't want to have to change these every time.