Search Unity

Video Recorder Issues | Waiting for Play Mode To Start

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by david_unity380, May 5, 2020.

1. david_unity380

david_unity380

Hi there!

I'm using Unity's recorder to capture some game footage. Have been using it fine for a month or so, but for some reason today, it hangs on "Waiting for Play Mode to start". I've tried start it before playing, after starting play mode, and everything in between, as well as throwing out the presets and creating new ones, to no avail.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Thanks!

2. david_unity380

david_unity380

So I have an update on this, it DOES start, but only if i'm out of play mode, and start play mode WITH recorder.

Obviously that's pretty difficult to use, as it can't take screenshots.

Normally i'd play the game, setup the scene how I like it while playing, then boot up recorder and grab my shots.
    Now i'd have to record the entire process, which is a total no-go for me.

3. david_unity380

david_unity380

Another update, this is an issue with the new release (Apr 15th 2020) and previous versions work fine.
    Thanks for your help, me.

4. Xero82

Xero82

Can confirm, having the same issue with 2.2.0. Reverting back to 2.1.0 fixes it.

5. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hi @david_unity380, that's definitely not the expected behavior. I've logged the bug in our system for further investigation. It should be fixed in the next release of the Recorder.

Thank you for reporting this bug!

triple_why likes this.
  6. EdwinLyons

EdwinLyons

I'm also having this in 2019.2.21 - I downgraded to 2.1.0 and it worked fine.

7. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

@cguertin -- Almost 2 months later now & this is still an issue; no new release, eh?

Isn't that one of the major "positives" behind packages, that you can quick-fix blatant/obvious "show-stopper" bugs, and get them deployed/release right away without having to go through all kinds of merge & release management workflows... =|

Unity editor version 2019.4.1f1 running on macOS. Recorder package version 2.2.0, which appears to be the latest package version available. I will go ahead & try downgrading to pkg version 2.1.0 for now.

Meatloaf4 likes this.
  8. jeffweber

jeffweber

Yep. Same issue. Downgrading to 2.1.0... maybe just remove version 2.2.0 until you can get it fixed?

Batuhan13 and Meatloaf4 like this.
  9. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone! Apologies for the delay on getting you guys an update on this bug. The Recorder team has been busy working on some exciting updates and I'm happy to announce that a new version of the package will be released within the next couple of weeks.

The new version will include an overdue fix for the bug mentioned here an several other updates. Stay tuned!

jeffweber likes this.
  10. BluShine

BluShine

@cguertin any updates? I love this tool but it is annoying that I have to manually downgrade in all my projects.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  11. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

The whole summer have passed, but the tool is still unusable. Yeah, so great, recorder team.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  12. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

Installed an old version of recorder (2.1.0), tried to make a screenshot - JPEG is messy as hell, and PNG has some weird transparency in place of shadows, so they look gray instead of black. I'm not even speaking of video problems (wrong output speed, awful quality, and VERY low performance), but is it so hard to make a goddamn screenshot utility?

The only way to output anything valid from this engine is to use some other screen recorder like OBS. Oh yes, I can't even make the game FULLSCREEN, I have to buy the solution on the assetstore.

It's so funny to see guys at unity showing the engine as a tool for filmmakers without providing any basic features... Figuring out this workflow with OBS+Fullscreen Editor took me DAYS, but the quality and performance are not even comparable with the recorder.

Menion-Leah likes this.
  13. TekHK

TekHK

Anyone from Unity have an estimated timeline for a new version of recorder? We too are having transparency issues. Images saving out faded

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Any updates?

daraOke likes this.
  15. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Thanks mate that solved my problem =)

16. Spierek

Spierek

The package is still not working properly, FYI. Tried it on 2019.4.8f1 and 2019.4.10f1 - in both cases it's impossible to start a new recording while the game is running, making the package almost unusable.

@cguertin, any word on that promised update?

17. AndreasScholl

AndreasScholl

Just checked on this issue and it is fixed with the 2.3.0 preview of the recorder package.

Good job, recorder team!

unitybru and angrypenguin like this.
  18. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone! Just a quick word to let you know that the latest version of the Recorder (2.3.0) now includes a fix for the issue mentioned in this thread (as @AndreasScholl already found ;)).

Sorry again for the delay on this and please let us know if you experience any further issues!

Fangh and unitybru like this.
  19. Brennan_M

Brennan_M

I realise the thread has been inactive for a while, but this issue has come up for me in Vers 2.4.0, and rolling back to Vers 2.1.0 fixes it.

20. bentone161

bentone161

21. shahan

shahan

hey just letting you know 3.0.1 Recorder has fixed it for me w unity version 2020.3.16f1
    can start play mode and record after

also @cguertin is there a way to maintain hearing the audio while recording?
    when i tick any option to record audio it silences the audio that would be heard in play mode.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021