Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Recorder is unusably slow.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Michal_Stangel, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

When i try to Record video it always runs 1 FPS and it's impossible to capture gameplay this way.
    My game runs 65 FPS in Game Window with 4K res and full screen mode. But when I start Recording with Unity Recorder it goes to 1 FPS.
    Even if capture settings are set to 30 FPS and 1080p. Using high end PC with 4090 RTX and NVMe SSD.
    Is this normal?

2. akent99

akent99

I don't record game play, but I record at 24 fps (by choice) regularly. So it does not sound "normal". What recorder settings are you using?

3. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I would be interested to see the profiler too.

4. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

Here is my Recorder settings and Profiler. Please tell me if it's not enough to spot the problem. I'm not sure what to show in profiler.

In terms of assets, it's snatdard Terrain and Better Lit Shaders on character model. Plus Enviro.
    Without recording it runs around 60 FPS (not too much optimized).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  5. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

It looks like all the time is spent on AddAudioSamples. If you uncheck "include audio" does it run better?

6. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

You are right. Without "Include audio" checked it runs with reasonable FPS.

One more thing is that captured video is very blurry with a lot of artifacts when I zooming or orbiting Cinemcahine camera around player. Even if all capture settings are maxed (4K, 60 FPS, High quality).

7. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

Can you try to change Encoding Quality to custom, set the bitrate to 60,000,000 with 240 GOPSize and see if it improves? By the way, what is your Editor and Recorder version?

8. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

In custom bitrate it sais that max is 4150 so i tried 2550 as is default in OBS and quality is as expected (meaning good). Apologize, I should try it right away. Encoding quality High has probably quite low bitrate.

Only unfortunate thing is that audio recording. I have multiple audio sources playing ambient sounds. But even if I disable tham it still slows down like that.

Currently I'm on Unity 2022.1.24.

Recorder is 4.0.0 Pre5., so I downgraded to 3.0.0 and it doesn't seem to have this Audio recording slow down problem. So I apologize again :) I already tried Recorder some time ago with my older 2070 GPU and had this 1 FPS problem, so I didn't make proper investigation and rushed to forum. Version 3.0.0 dosn't have Custom Encoding quality, so hopefully you will be able to fix that audio capture performance drop in version 4.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  9. Michal_Stangel

Michal_Stangel

So it seems that problem was with 5.1 audio in Projest settings, as Recorder now says it cannot be used and prevent from recording? With Stereo it records just fine.

However, if I want to record with 60 FPS cap while game in game window runs with 35 fps, some elements of output video are speeded up, like rotation and zooming of Cinemachine camera (speed is probably doubled). Is there a way to prevent this behaviour?

10. angeldevelopment

angeldevelopment

bump whats up with this i cant record my gameplay with sound? what?