Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Record in-game audio (not microphone) to a file (WAV/MP3/etc)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Trivium_Dev, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

Hello,

I'd like to record in-game audio to a file. What's the best way to go about doing this? I've done some Googling and a lot of the responses seem to be about recording microphone audio, which is not what I want to do. I just want to take the actual in-game audio and record it out to a file. The file format doesn't matter too much, I'd be ok with WAV or MP3 or any other standard audio file format.

Edit: I would like to be able to do this within Unity. Similar to how AVPro Movie Capture allows one to record a video to a file from within Unity (it also records audio but only for within a video - I just want to record audio and save it directly to a WAV or MP3 file).

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. AutoAssault

AutoAssault

I think "AudaCity" is exactly what you need.
    It is a free program that lets you record the audio stream that goes to your speak/headphones/whatever. Audacity also coms with effects like Echo, Equalizer, Phaser, Compressor, Click-Remover,etc, which let you modify the recorded audio...pretty decent.

You can't however target a specific application with Audacity. It always captures the whole audio stream, as you would hear on the speakers. You therefore have to mute all other applications that make sound.

As far as I remember, .WAV or .OGG is the default output format if you export the audio. You can also export as MP3 with an appropirate codec installment. (not very difficult to do).

WARNING: The default audio output volume of Audacity is VERY LOUD!! If you wear headphones, dont put them directly to your ears if you pre-hear the recorded audio. Always first adjust the output volume on the program and on your local audio volume settings. At least this was the case when I used the program.

3. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

Thanks for the response @AutoAssault, I should have clarified (will edit my post), but I would like to do this from within an Unity application. For example, I would like the user to be able to select some sounds, allow them to arrange them into a sequence, and then play that entire sequence. When they are happy with how it sounds, they would be able to "record" the audio into a WAV or MP3 file so that they can access it from outside the Unity application.