Search Unity

Recompile "reload" spending 6.6minutes, yesterday was 25s...?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by malkere, Jun 10, 2022.

1. malkere

malkere

I've been fighting with this all day and still not sure what I can do. I can profile the editor and my scripts still all finish compiling at around 30s, but then AssetDatabase.Refresh() kicks in and it sits there unresponsive for another 6 minutes.

Should I be looking for code marking Assets dirty?
    It acts like it's rebuilding half my library without giving any sort of indication as to what's going on.
    This is 2019.4.39

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Pretty maddening... there's pinned posts with dozens of pages of responses at the top of the forum. Perhaps there's something useful in there?

3. evyatron

evyatron

A few things I'd try:
    1. Restarting Unity and/or your PC (I know this might be obvious, but worth saying!)
    2. Disabling any anti-virus software to see if something's blocking the hard-drive access
    3. Manually deleting the Library folder, letting Unity do a clean re-import once

4. malkere

malkere

Back from the weekend. I have read a lot of the threads, but there are a lot of them, and (no offense) most of them are responses like evyatron's. This has been going on for now days, over 16 hours at the time of posting, I have of course rebooted and restarted Unity many many times. Disabling anti-virus to run Unity is ludicrous and my anti-virus plus Unity have thousands of hours of runtime together. I have yet to try a library wipe, and now desperate will probably try one.

5. malkere

malkere

Digging into this further. Via Editor logs I've found this:

Domain Reload Profiling:
    ReloadAssembly (27126ms)
    EndReloadAssembly (26986ms)
    SetupLoadedEditorAssemblies (26320ms)
    ProcessInitializeOnLoadAttributes (2293ms)
    ProcessInitializeOnLoadMethodAttributes (23498ms)

eh nm.. that's still only 27s
    well, I guess that shows it's not domain related, it's definitely assets. For the record, after several suggestions, I have reset the editor window to no effect, and this is all on SSD.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    evyatron likes this.
  6. malkere

malkere

Well, I was messing with a bunch of UMA this week so after a full reimport that did not fix the problem I deleted all my UMA stuff and reimported and now things are back down to 15s compile. My theory is that an error I ran into was creating some kind of shadow custom drawer that was storing itself static/project wide, or something like that. There is a custom drawer for "wardrobe recipes" in UMA that was erroring after I wrote a script to add a race to a bunch of recipes, accidentally adding the race multiple times to some recipes. This threw a Dictionary key error whenever inspecting the cursed recipes, and seemed to be making things worse and worse. I'd try to recreate this in a small project, but I've already lost a full two days fussing with this.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.