Search Unity

"Recompile after finished playing" appears broken in 2021.2.0f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jeffomatic, Oct 26, 2021.

1. jeffomatic

jeffomatic

I recently updated to 2021.2.0f1 (Apple Silicon) and noticed some new behavior when "Script changes while playing" is set to "Recompile after finished playing".

When the game is playing in-editor, modifications to scripts will trigger a compilation popup that appears to go through the compilation and import stages. Stopping play will show a second popup, this one going through the assembly reload stage.

Based on my experience with this setting in 2020.3.15f2, I'd normally expect script changes to have no effect on the editor until play is stopped. Fortunately, the re-compile is very fast on Apple Silicon (thanks for working on that!), so this issue is less distracting than it could be.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    eudendeew and ddagradi like this.
  2. ddagradi

ddagradi

Reproduced on my instance of 2021.2.0f1, also Apple Silicon build.

3. eudendeew

eudendeew

Bump,
    Unity 2021.3.3f1
    Changing the setting before play does kinda work, it still freezes for some frames (asset import) then continues.
    If I restart Unity the setting is ignored completely until changing it again.

4. alatalo

alatalo

Bump,

Unity 2021.3.3f1 Intel has the same issue. "Recompile After Finished Playing" does not work, recompiles always while in Play mode too.

5. thomskyCan

thomskyCan

Same here, 2021.3.1f1 (intel) on Mac (silicon).
    Initially it was thought that JetBrains Rider was the cause. But their tech support has ruled this out. Detaching all IDEs and using simple textEdit also causes a recompile during play, regardless of the setting in Preferences.
    Tried to see if AutoRefresh on/off fixes this but to no avail.