Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Recommended method for locking a joint in Articulation Bodies

Discussion in 'Physics' started by valentin-simian, Aug 31, 2022.

1. valentin-simian

valentin-simian

We've tried adjusting the dampening to really high levels, and it almost solves this, but there's still some movement.

We also tried setting the joint type to fixed, and that creates a requirement for saving and restoring the position, however this an awkward solution and at many times falls short.

What would be the suggested method for locking a single joint on a chain?

2. valentin-simian

valentin-simian

3. tjmaul

tjmaul

I was under the impression that you could set the drive lower and upper limit. Does that work?

If not, what Unity version are you using? I googled a bit and found a solved issue where the joints limits where not respected, but that was fixed in one of the 2022a versions:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...n-lower-limit-and-upper-limit-are-not-clamped

But other than that, I don’t have any recommendations

4. valentin-simian

valentin-simian

Are you suggesting getting the current value and temporarily setting that as both the lower and upper limit in lieu of a lock?

5. tjmaul

tjmaul

In short: yes :)

I haven’t tried but I can’t see why it wouldn’t. Please tell if you got it working like this, I’m interested.

6. valentin-simian

valentin-simian

This does work unless excessive force is applied. Then it will oscillate between two frames between the "between limits" position and the forced position.