Search Unity

Recommended assets for online game design

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ares13, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Ares13

Ares13

Hello,

I'm looking at Procedural Worlds for a lot of the terrain based assets, but what else do I need to cover weak spots in my game design? I know I need a network solution so any recommendations there?

I want to do an online fighter, battle royal, MMO sort of RPG world builder, and space shooter adventure in 3d. I also will add that I use Blender for 3d modeling, rigging, and animation that I hopefully can integrate with Animation Rigging or maybe check out Final IK or the likes.

I mainly want recommendations on assets I can use to help take the workload off of a solo developer with large game plans but also not a lot of money as I'm hoping to switch professions to game designer as I'm currently out of work from an injury. Anything that might help setup systems like a character creation system, magic system, or combat systems for online games would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

2. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

I would recommend taking a look at Atavism X.1 game engine on the asset store then go from there. You can find tons more info on their website. They have some recommendations for other assets. Mostly ones that have been integrated with Atavism. You do not have to use them, but it is nice to have the integration for them if you do. I believe it would save you years of development time because it is the most advanced MMORPG game engine I have seen for Unity.

You are lucky right now it is on sale for 50% off, $249.00. There are just too many features to talk about. I am not kidding. It comes with a support that you can extend for a decent price. They also have a hosting partner North Network which is integrated into your account. The whole process of getting set up with North Network was so easy. took like 5 minutes and my server was up and running. You will save a lot of start up time and money having somebody host it, especially if you are looking to keep your development team small I would recommend North Network. They have a few plans that they offer.

You can chat with the Atavism team on their website, if you have discord they have a server. Very nice Either way they will let you know if Atavism will meet the needs of your game design. They have a great team. It has all of the system you mentioned that you are looking, and much much more. They have a working demo online that you can play. Best Unity investment I have made.

3. Ares13

Ares13

Thank you, I had looked at Atavision and then PUN2 Plus at 1/5 the price, same supported 100 concurrent users included, and seems it's used more than Atavision also. I don't know if it's because of age, price, or something about usability for other setups than MMO design which Atavision uses as the main selling point without addressing uses in other genres. I want to make an MMO, but I also have 3 other games listed that aren't MMO's. So is it useful in all aspects?

4. Ares13

Ares13

I also worry about buying an asset before I need it because then I might have to pay for an update and this is already such a high cost compared to PUN2 Plus. I definitely saw a lot in the live demo that would work for me but I'm trying to learn DOTS, ECS, and animation rigging also so that may put me on hold while they get these assets finished for production purposes

5. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Vis2k has some engines. UMMORPG may be more your price range. Also on sale $40. I have worked with both. I know at one point Atavism had different controller types for different style games like point and click to move. Would be a good question for them.

Thing I really like about UMMORPG, is that it seems more compact which is a great tool for prototyping. The server sets up easily when I run it locally. Do be careful with third party plug in's. Remember you will be depending on them for updates. As for Vis2K and Atavism, they both are under constant development. Atavism does make all their own plug in's. Comes with around 40.

For work I choose Atavism X. I find it more complete. No surprise considering the price which is crazy at 50% off.

They both have a lot of Discord users that like to help out.

Do not know much about Pun.

The 100 user is for their 30 day subscription plan which is $29 a month. They also have a free 14 day trial for that one. If you buy it you get 1000 CCU's. Then you can expand your CCU really easy, well if it is in the budget. Chances are if you need more than a 1000 CCU's. At that point you should be making enough to afford adding CCU's. Keep in mind your user base is not likely to be on the game all at the same time so the user base will most likely be larger than 1000. That would be a very nice accomplishment.

Either way you will learn how to develop and should end up with good game play. Keep up the researching see where your budget takes ya.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. Ares13

Ares13

I've been on the Atavism Discord server all day and it's been interesting. I can't say it's as useful for the action MMO that I want to create as they don't support physics and the way they handle animations wouldn't allow me to use procedural animations to create the realistic look I want without physics. Outside of that I see great potential for it that makes me want to buy it anyway. The tools it provides would allow anybody the ability to make a great MMO with so many possibilities. I'm still looking at other things like Photon and uMMORPG Component Edition.

I also saw that World Streamer is on sale also. Along with some Audio packs that seem decent. Anyone have some decent suggestions or tips?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Have you checked out The Messy Coder on Twitch? https://www.twitch.tv/themessycoder. He Interviews asset store developers. He also post his streams on you tube in case you miss the live stream. Sometimes they raffle assets to viewers. Just a note, you need to be a follower to enter the raffles which is free. Right now he is doing a game jam. He has been streaming more these days but typically on Fridays and Saturdays. Best part is that you get to see them tear in to assets... Well the raffles are pretty cool to. :)

8. Ares13

Ares13

Just watched his one with Procedural Worlds. Raffle was free Gaia Pro which I had already but they offered to extend it to a voucher for any product including the upcoming snap builder if you already had Gaia. I've been watching him for a while on YouTube and joined his Discord a couple of weeks ago.

9. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Yes, I always like to hear about what Adams up to. I really like working with his tools. Sorry that I missed you in the chat. I had to have eyes on a project.

10. Ares13

Ares13

Yeah he seems like a cool guy and the tools seem really great and were a steal. 65% off the entire Procedural Worlds asset pack. I'm still trying to figure out what else to get but world editing tools complete unless I hear any recommendations for assets to make it even better.

I was looking at animation tools like Final Ik and Puppet Master but don't know how they would that work with Atavism or if either would give me the control to fake physics reactions realistically. There was also motion matching for unity which I thought was cool. I don't know what I need or will be useful with doing rigging and animations through Blender.

It also seems I need to figure out how get deterministic physics over a network which doesn't seem an easy thing to do. I was looking at Smooth Sync to help with that.

Along with those choices I'm still deciding Atavism or uMMORPG. I was looking at World Streamer because it's integrated with Atavism although I'm not sure if Gaia's streamer will work also. Then I figured I'd grab the Pro Sound Collection and Ultimate Game Music Collection for sure as that will cover most audio and the rest I can make up myself.

Other than that it's just researching what will fit me best as I'm seeing that Atavism is great with lots of features. I just don't know if I can get the reliable low latency interactions I desire with the way they have their network setup. Which leads to uMMORPG being not as supportive with features but better with network handling and open source mirror. Then the ultimate thing is what will we see within the final result of Unity's new ECS/DOTS packages, physics, NetCode, and animation rigging that could change everything and make these assets obsolete?

11. MrIconic

MrIconic

I never got far into using Atavism but one of the things that I didn't like was extending (I think?) the server back then required a different coding language. It was maybe Java or C++ on the server if you needed to extend it.

Difference being is when you use UMMORPG/Mirror/PUN a lot- if not all of it, is completely built in Unity. This makes it a little easier to handle learning and extending it.

However, Atavism's architecture due to it being separate in some cases from Unity makes it have a high potential. This separation can only really be close if you use Mirror with their paid addons (look at mirror's paid addons to get a better idea).

My recommendation? I don't know if any one of those do much- if anything, with physics.

12. Ares13

Ares13

Thank you. I ended up getting Atavism.

13. rcohen_unity

rcohen_unity

did you like it?