Search Unity

Recent ToS update blocks the use of SpatialOS to make games in Unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PolarTron, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some people just prefer the old prefab system to the newer one.

2. Yes. They rolled it out, but there is no comfortable "mass edit" function for the new prefabs, because they have some limitations and they was counting on the fact that building variants and overrides are more mindful than mass editing a bunch of prefabs. But some people does not like it, because it would force them to fix the problems which they are hiding in prefabs.

xVergilx and JBR-games like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Great job rolling a one on English comprehension.

BlackPete, Jaimi and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Back to the actual topic.....

I'm frankly surprised Unity looked at the backlash and basically admitted they made a mistake and then not only did a 180, they put in additional restrictions on themselves from changing the TOS of existing versions of Unity in the future. The gut instinct of most mid+ sized companies with this type of situation is to either dig in and weather the storm, or back down with some token gesture but not actually address the problem. Unity seems to have looked at what the community was saying, took a step back and said "you know, they are right."

Bravo on Unity. This has to be the most effective damage control operation I've seen in response to user controversy by any company.

jashan, elias_t, xVergilx and 8 others like this.
  5. snoopbaron

snoopbaron

I'm glad Unity has fixed all the problems with their previous TOS. But I am disappointed they did not address the issues I brought up with the second class trial licenses indie developers in Taiwan and other Asian countries have been burdened with. The TOS only mention Unity Pro, Unity Plus and Unity Personal and nowhere the does the word trial appear in the terms. This special exception to standard terms that only those of us who live or visit Asia are being subjected does not appear to be addressed anywhere in these terms. We deserve the same consideration on this licensing change as was given to the third party services change in the TOS.

Flurgle, Rockwall33 and Shorely like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

This is how the half full glass and the half empty glass people found peace.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're using Unity Personal, so everything regarding Personal in the TOS applies to you. Also, according to a previous thread on the topic Unity China has reversed this policy already. You may need to delete your license file and reactivate, or something along those lines.

Rockwall33 and superpig like this.
  8. Apparently there are some people who has INFURIATING!-ly empty glass.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

"Ignore the two dismissive attempts to answer this question" == Your opinion is wrong.

xVergilx likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Because the answer is very much dependent on the developer. You listed problems you have with the new system but it's very clear from other responses in both this thread and other threads discussing the prefab system that not everyone has them as problems.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wherever this consensus of opinion has been occurring it clearly hasn't been in a location that I've been frequenting. That said I don't spend much time in the sections where discussions have been occurring for prefabs. Most of my time is spent between three forums: General Discussion, Scripting, and Getting Started. Very rarely elsewhere.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, there really isn't.

xVergilx, Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  13. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

FWIW, the new prefab workflows represent what is probably the single largest UX research effort in Unity's history, comprising many months of working with 'actual designers and/or creatives' in interviews, studies, experiments, prototypes, and iteration after iteration after iteration. There are definitely valid criticisms - and the team is already working on solutions to some of them - but to suggest that it was designed and built without input from artists and designers could not be further from the truth.

14. Well, first: if it's a consensus, I'm not part of it. There are people, who does not like it. But Unity didn't make this change just like that, they actually did consult with the users beforehand, there were test-runs and all that.
    Second: they're working on a way that may allow them to bring back your mass edit functionality. So it will arrive later.
    Third: you tend to overreact these things, so dramalama-power rulz.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We're getting off topic, but to me, you know what the biggest problem is with the new prefabs? That you broke stuff, and you didn't mention them neither in the upgrade guide or in the release notes.

Like you can have a warning that says "The concept of creating a completely empty Prefab has been discontinued.", but you can't be bothered to write a couple of lines in the upgrade guide on how to fix/migrate/workaround this?

I did eventually figure it out, but it took me a whole working day, after which I wasn't feeling so positive about the new prefabs.

Shorely likes this.
  16. I apologize, it was me, who started this here mentioning another INFURIATING pressure-point. I didn't think this through I should have counted with the fact that it will become a full-scale debate. I'm sorry.

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

Because you don't need a dark theme to make a game.

xVergilx likes this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

No you're not. :p

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  19. True. :D :cool:

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you think those things are on remotely the same scope as a dark theme, you're out of your goddamn mind.

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean you don't, but... as someone who over the years has used the free versions of Unity, the perpetual "Pro versions" (one for each platform), the Plus version and the current Pro version, gating the dark skin seems incredibly silly.

(I also do find the demand for it incredibly silly as well though :) )

22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(at this point maybe we should open a new topic about the new prefabs? or find an existing one? we're really off topic here)

JBR-games likes this.
  23. Murgilod

Murgilod

I meant as an end user you clown.

24. No, you don't have to be. You know, there is plenty of life between the two extremes. And you need to pick your battles carefully if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise people like us will just see you a kid who's whining all day over everything.

Ryiah likes this.
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

When you started coming across as a fanatic.

26. You language suggest you're not "expressing concern" (INFURIATING! - four times? I don't go back to count), you're demanding and blindly accusing. Expecting things from a business for yesterday, which they told you will look into it. You're basically accusing them lying multiple times on everything. The dark theme thing is pure comic <10 hours yakety sax insert here>, you expect democratic something from a business, which I don't even understand how you got to this point.

Expressing concern:
    - hey guys, the multi-edit is missing
    - yeah, we know, we had this limitation, we're working on it
    - good job, I'll be waiting for it....

---

And with that said I'm over and out of this thread, it was quite a ride. I'm happy with the outcome and glad Unity took the higher route on this for all of us.

27. Murgilod

Murgilod

Again, a dark theme is not a boon to game development in any sense of the word.

28. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Alrighty folks... looks like we are done here. The most recent updates to the original issue can be found here:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/01/1...ice-and-commitment-to-being-an-open-platform/

This thread hasn't really even touched on the original topic in a couple of pages, so there really isn't anything more to to discuss here. Thank you to Unity for addressing this quickly and comprehensively. Thank you to the community for keeping the discussion civil and on target for what is clearly a complex and important discussion that needed to be had.

Cheers and happy building.

elcionap, iAbstract, Kiwasi and 5 others like this.
  29. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Hey everyone! Just to add on to the comment from @zombiegorilla, I wanted to thank everyone for joining this thread and sharing your concerns.

iAbstract, neoshaman, Amon and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.