Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebinding SkinnedMeshRenderer to new bones.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by adehm, Jul 15, 2021.

1. adehm

adehm

I would like to know how to write in bone weights so that I can link clothing to new bones.

For instance I use a clothing item meant for a particular skeleton, in which I had rewritten bone names to unify all of these identical skeletons; identical except naming prior to rewrite. I can rewrite the bones for the SkinnedMeshRenderer to match the skeleton I intend it to use and it fixes it to the correct position.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Transform[] bones = new Transform[3];
    2. bones[0] = root;
    3. bones[1] = root.GetChild(0);
    4. bones[2] = bones[1].GetChild(0);
    5. skinnedMeshRenderer.rootBone = root;
    6. skinnedMeshRenderer.bones = bones;
    I did not have to rewrite these bone weights due to them being meant for this skeleton. Upon debugging there is 613 of these indexes*4/weights*4; however I cannot understand why so many for three bones or what their values represent nor how I would translate them for my needs.

So when trying to translate a mesh bound to a different skeleton it will not work and I have no idea how I would write these weights to fit my skeleton. What I am trying to achieve is to write classes for each clothing position that will set new bones and weights for the mesh in order for them to work for my skeletons.

unityunity