Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RealToon (An AAA Toon/Anime Shader and Stylized)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MJQStudioWorks, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, Acissathar

Yep, correct.
    Just replace the shaders and edit the textures, separate the color, gloss and shadow,
    so color texture, gloss texture and shadow texture.

That shadow texture will be use for "ShadowT".
    be sure it is smooth gradient.

The color texture will be use for "Main Texture" and "Shadow Color Texture".

The gloss texture will be for "Gloss Texture", a custom gloss feature.

See the "ShadowT", "Anime Gloss Hair", and "How To Color Shadow" video tutorial for more info and how to do it.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Acissathar likes this.
  2. imagined

imagined

When does Realtoon support HDRP? Thanks

3. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi imagined,

I already planned to add support.
    I'm still waiting for the HDRP to be out of preview and complete before i start working on it, like i did to LWRP version.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. Hobodi

Hobodi

Hi, can you please help me with reflections in lwrp. Can i create mirror-like effect on the plane, and how? I had try to check reflections and freflections, but nothing happened.

5. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, Hobodi,
    Send me an email at mjqstudioworks@gmail.com
    so i can help you.

6. tijanikun

tijanikun

Hello, i bought the asset today but i got weird black thing appearing when i use the shader, can you help me please ?

7. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi tijanikun,

It's the outline, if you are not using that, be sure to disable it and i notice the inspector is not working properly and it seems the RealToonGUI editor script is removed or misplaced.

Send me an email at mjqstudiowork@gmail.com so i can help you futher more.

8. tijanikun

tijanikun

It's working now and it looks great thx, 5star

MJQStudioWorks likes this.
  9. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

I'm glad to hear it is now working, thanks for using realtoon.

10. Vincent454

Vincent454

11. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi Vincent13122,
    You can actually do that, i recommend you to see the RealToon Image Gallery and the video tutorials on my youtube channel so you can see the features you need to do that.

Vincent454 likes this.
  12. aydee223

aydee223

Can someone help me. I just imported real toon recently and all my grass are gone and i cant paint new ones what did i do wrong. Do i have to change the shaders on my grass?

13. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi aydee223,
    i replied to you message.

14. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi everyone, next realtoon update is 5.0.4 but it might take awhile for me to finish/release it,
    it's because of some improvements.

iChuy, Hobodi and Starpaq2 like this.
  15. Ravenous

Ravenous

Any timeframe for when the next update will be out? The asset is broken for the newest Unity release.

16. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, there's no date yet when the next update be out/release.
    v5.0.4 is still WIP/work in progress.

But what new version of unity are you using and what RP?

The current realtoon v5.0.3 works fine on the latest unity 2019.2 and the alpha/beta unity 2019.3

17. Ravenous

Ravenous

My bad, I forgot to update the lightweight RP for that project.

18. midgear

midgear

Can anyone tell me why the outline's alpha is going crazy when it comes into contact with the skybox?
    OutlineProblems.jpg

19. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi midgear,
    Are you using unity's default skybox? or other skybox?
    Did you use the "Outline Z Position In Camera"?

20. midgear

midgear

Attached Files:

21. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

22. Eromancer

Eromancer

Hey there! Thanks for this product -- it's really great.

We're currently having an issue with blendshapes and the RealToon outline that I hope you can help with.

It seems that blendshapes add to the outline across all geometry on an object, not just where the blendshape modifies. You have to turn on multiple blendshapes for the effect to become apparent.

In the example I've provided, I've turned on 7 and then 15 blendshapes -- none of which modify the character's fingernails, and have shown that the outline stacks up as more are turned on.

Our characters' face rigs rely on blendshapes, so currently this breaks our pipeline. Hopefully you can provide some assistance!

EDIT: Forgot to include the outline parameters

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  23. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi Eromancer,
    Thanks for using realtoon and providing the info about it.

Send an email at mjqstudioworks@gmail.com
    i can help you futher there and some things that i need to check it.

24. PylonCrow

PylonCrow

Running into a problem on import. Every texture is a flat pink, and the console shows an error "Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture . I don't know what do. Unity Version 2018.3.8f1. I can't get the package to work.

Attached Files:

25. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi PylonCrow,
    Thanks for using realtoon and providing the info.
    What realtoon version are you using?
    Be sure the shaders and the editor gui scripts are imported properly.

i can help you futher there.

26. AlanPereiraArt

AlanPereiraArt

Hello @MJQStudioWork

I was testing the WebGL Preview and watched some youtube videos about Real Toon and I'm thinking on obtaining it.

But I have some questions regarding its performance in Android mobile devices. I mean, my studio's first solution for our current game was using the Unity Chan V2 but even being very beautiful it was very costful for the gpu. In our tests a model with 5.2k tris is presented with almost 40k tris because of the way it renders the Anime Outlines, Shadows and Rim Lights.

Do you guys have something like an .apk with an FPS counter and a way to stress test it? Or some info related about its performance in mobile platforms?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any trouble!!

27. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, Asura-Brasil,
    I replied to your email.

AlanPereiraArt likes this.
  28. PylonCrow

PylonCrow

Anytime i use any of these shaders on my objects they do not cast shadows within ~12 unity units, anything beyond that distance, shadows are perfect, but when close. they simply do not work.

Edit: Realized the default setting for reduced shadow is indeed 10 units. Not sure why, maybe worth considering renaming this or defaulting this to 1 unit or less? Seems weird to me to not show shadows close at all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  29. PylonCrow

PylonCrow

Apologies, my mistake was using whatever is imported by default instead of importing the lightweight render pipeline specific asset package.

30. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, PylonCrow

There's a reason why is the reduce shadow option is 10.
    if that option is 1 or 0, the shadow artifacts will be visible on the object's shadow.
    I recommend you to adjust the light bias to less if you want the shadow to completely visible.
    check also the Quality settings and the LWRP settings if you are using that RP.

31. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

It's okay, if you want to use LWRP, import the realtoon LWRP package only then open that package.

32. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Is there a way to change the outline color through texture or vertex color?

Also is it possible to use signed distance fields for the shadow textures? This would be a feature we would find very useful.

33. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, BlankMauser.

As of now you can color the outline by "Outline Color".
    May i know why would you like to color it with texture? do you want the main texture to color the outline?

Have you tried to use "ShadowT" feature?
    maybe you are talking about the "ShadowT" to act like the real time shadow?

34. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Hello.

For the outline color yes I would like the main texture to color the outline. A Darker color of the main texture preferably.

For the ShadowT features yes I have used it, but it needs to be high resolution to get good results. Signed Distance Fields allow us to use lower resolution textures for binary maps (Lit or Unlit) and would be an amazing feature for us personally.

35. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

I can add an option for that to use main texture to color outline + color, it will be included in the upcoming update 5.0.4

I search about Signed Distance Fields it is mainly use for text font but it can also use in some textures like icons and it is uses alpha.
    Mostly use and made in script.

ShadowT is somewhat work like SDF but it is not using alpha.

Have you tried to set the compression to "None" or "High Quality"?
    To set it just select the texture then change the "Compression" to "None" or "High Quality".

If you use ShadowT be sure your texture/texture map is smooth/soft not hard.
    for more info about it, see ShadowT video tutorial.

Adjust "Shadow Threshold" to negative to limit it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  36. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Thank you! We are grateful for the help with the outline feature.

Yes, we have tried using it but find the shadows are too pixelated for up-close shots. Currently we get hard shadows by adjusting the normals of characters. But one of our characters has very complex shadows that SDF would be perfect for.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  37. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

No problem and thank you also,

What's the size of your texture/texture map?
    I recommend to use 256x256,

I have something to ask there for testing.

38. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi everyone,
    RealToon v5.0.4 update will be release any day next month.

39. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Hello MJQ,

I have a question about this shader.

It appears when we use a single directional light, Real Toon is not using the model's normals at all. We tried changing how the normals were calculated but nothing seemed to happen. In fact, using a normal map with real toon seems to have no effect at all unless turning on self-shadow. Is this how the shader is supposed to function?

We use custom normal editing to achieve hand-painted like shadows on our characters. If the shader isn't using the normals to light the model, the shader wouldn't be very useful to us.

40. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi,
    The shader does use the object normal, it also use the normal map you assign to it.

Here's a screenshot and test i did:
    Here.png

I advice you to send a screenshot to the previous email i gave you "mjqstudioworks@gmail.com", i'll help you futher there and troubleshoot it maybe there's something in your end.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  41. chaza_li

chaza_li

Hi there,

I have been getting this error when I build my game. What might be the cause of this?

upload_2019-8-26_3-54-47.png

The corresponding lines of code are:

784: UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(sha, i, i.posWorld.xyz);
    1346: lightfo = UNITY_SHADOW_ATTENUATION(i, i.posWorld.xyz);
    1376: half FB_Check = UNITY_SHADOW_ATTENUATION(i, i.posWorld.xyz);

42. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi chaza_li

What realtoon version are you using? and what unity version?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  43. AlanPereiraArt

AlanPereiraArt

Thanks very much for your help!
    We are very happy with the Real Toon shader. :D

44. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi everyone,
    RealToon V5.0.4 update is now available.
    See image below for more info.

RealToon V5.0.4 Update.png

Acissathar likes this.
  45. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

Hi. I recently downloaded Realtoon and it's amazing. Many advanced features are much appreciated. Thank you for adding matcap support!

I wanted to share a tip I just discovered for those looking to get a better outline. Normally, the outline appears broken at corners because the vertex normals of meshes are often split for lighting purposes. This extrudes the hull outline along those split normals resulting in what appears to be a broken outline. A trick I found is if you smooth all of the normals of your mesh, the outline appears solid, continuous, unbroken. This greatly improves the look. To smooth normals in Unity, go to your model import settings and change normals to calculate, then set smoothing angle to 180 degrees. I found Angle Weighted under Normals Mode the best. The downside to this approach is that your shading and reflections may appear distorted because of the smooth normals. That's not anything a hi res baked normal map can't fix I suppose, but it would be ideal to have two sets of normals. One for lighting and the other for outline extrusion.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you find it to be a good solution? The broken outline look is unique, but often unacceptable when attempting to emulate traditional cel animation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  46. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi TimeStrafer,
    Thanks for using realtoon shader.

About the tip you've discovered, that tip is actually working and it will definitely fix the broken outline.
    I also discovered that tip and i also included it on the RealToon (User Guide).pdf.
    There are downside when using that, like what you said.

How about baked the normals to vertex color?
    I might add a RGB vertex color support soon for outline.

Peter-Bailey likes this.
  47. bambamyi

bambamyi

Looks pretty cool.

I just purchased RealToon today in hope to use it for URP.
    However when I imported URP unitypackage into my project, I get following error in the default shader or D_Default_URP shader.

undeclared identifier '_AdditionalShadowStrength'
    Compiling Vertex program with _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS N_F_EAL_ON N_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

And a warning...

implicit truncation of vector type
    Compiling Vertex program with _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS N_F_EAL_ON N_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

they seem to be related... am I missing something or a setting? I kind of read through the docs and didn't find anything.... any help would be awesome thanks!

48. toyhunter

toyhunter

@MJQStudioWorks

Hi, I was compiling my iOS game using 5.0.3 with the following errors (during compiling shader variants):

Shader error in 'RealToon/Version 5/Lite/Default': invalid subscript '_ShadowCoord' at line 1076 (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK L_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'RealToon/Version 5/Lite/Default': invalid subscript '_ShadowCoord' at line 1076 (on metal)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK L_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'RealToon/Version 5/Lite/Default': invalid subscript '_ShadowCoord' at line 1092 (on gles)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD POINT SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK L_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'RealToon/Version 5/Lite/Default': invalid subscript '_ShadowCoord' at line 1092 (on metal)

Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD POINT SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK L_F_SS_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

I tried to upgrade to 5.0.4 still the same. My Unity version is 2018.3.14f1.

Please help thanks in advance.

49. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, bambamyi
    Thank you for using RealToon.

What unity 2019.3.0 beta version are you using?
    What target platform and API graphics?

Note:
    URP is only available on unity 2019.3.0

50. bambamyi

bambamyi

Thank you for quick reply. I am using 2019.3.b4 which is the latest. I also have the latest URP installed through packman. I am also targeting iOS and Auto Graphics API.