Search Unity

RealToon (An AAA Toon/Anime Shader and Stylized)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MJQStudioWorks, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, sorry for the late reply,
    Is there a video demo of this?
    or an example of this?
    What's the use case of this mode?

2. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

RealToon matcap already have this one but only 2, multiply which is the default and the Specular Mode (Add).

3. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Unfortunately you can't, you do need to modify the shader to add another self lit.

4. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

As of now none, but you can do it by script by disabling the light mode of the Outline pass on the shader when the object is far.

5. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

No problem, but for now realtoon does not yet support deferred.
    I'm still finding some ways to support it.
    Only RealToon HDRP supports deferred.
    URP supports Forward plus.

6. unityandrew_

unityandrew_

You are correct, it was user error on my part. I unpacked for HDRP 12 when I only had HDRP 10 so I just reimported, unpacked the correct Realtoon HDRP shader package and it worked. Thanks for looking into it.

MJQStudioWorks likes this.
  7. minsumandoo

minsumandoo

matcap-traditional.gif
    Traditional Matcap gets unnatural for some camera angles.

matcap-corrected.gif
    and this is perspective correction applied.

8. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, thanks for the video screenshot, I'll look into this.

9. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

Please, any plans for 2023.2 Alpha test shader build?

(nice asset btw!)

10. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Yes there is, you can actually use RealToon on 2023.2 alpha version.
    I already tested it and it works properly.

the_unity_saga likes this.
  11. unmanman

unmanman

excuse me. Why don't the face and hair display normally when the field of view is set too low when the camera is far from the character?
    and why only the face and hair not the whole body?
    I'm trying to make a MV using realToon and i need to set the field of view to an extreme low number.

Attached Files:

• P1.png
      P1.png
      File size:
      526.6 KB
      Views:
    • P3.png
      P3.png
      File size:
      400.4 KB
      Views:
  12. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, about the problem you need to turn on the 'Update When Offscreen', it is on the 'Skinned Mesh Renderer' of the Object.

unmanman likes this.
  13. marumarum

marumarum

Thank you for the asset - I'm having trouble finding "Near Fade Dithering" Option in the shader settings. Can you point me to the right direction?

Also, do you have any plans for allowing dithering transparency when cutout is enabled? Thank you.

14. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

May i know what Rendering Pipeline is your Project?
    Built-In? URP? or HDRP?

Near Fade Dithering is currently available on RealToon URP and HDRP.
    You can enable it under the Enable/Disable Features.

15. makaolachsiungca

makaolachsiungca

Hi,
    I want to add the dissolve effect to RealToon shader,
    I have the amplify shader editor but have no idea how to do that..

upload_2023-4-14_15-54-55.png

16. marumarum

marumarum

It worked! I'm using URP 12.1.6, the shaders didn't update when using "URP 12 and Later" shader package. Had to use the "URP 12 and 13" file. Thank you!

17. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

You can do dissolve by using Cutout feature.
    Enable "Transparent Mode" then enable "Cutout" feature then next enable "Use Secondary Cutout" then apply a dissolve noise texture/map onto the "Use Secondary Cutout" texture slot.

18. makaolachsiungca

makaolachsiungca

Thanks for reply!
    I need the dissolve effect works with volume clipping.
    upload_2023-4-15_13-26-32.png

19. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, sorry for the late reply, have you tried using the Render Texture and do some scripting for it?
    it might be too complicated to so, there's another option but it needed to modified the shader and add the lines for volume clipping.

makaolachsiungca likes this.
  20. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

hello
    where in the shader code could we add more texture layers?
    i have need for more with additive blending enabled

21. chocouyu12

chocouyu12

I imported URP 14 version of the asset while I was using URP 12 and it crash the editor shortly after. I deleted it and reimported the correct version but the editor still crash every now and then. Some of the crash occurred when I went to change the shader and the toon shader was missing from the option URP -> Toon shader, even though it had been available earlier.

Could this be because I had installed the incorrect version the first time?

22. chocouyu12

chocouyu12

Nevermind, I removed some other assets and the crash have stopped.

23. DGordon

DGordon

Does HDRP have tesselation? I'm not seeing it, and Im using this to render out a video, so having smooth models is a biggie ... thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  24. PARCEPTIONS

PARCEPTIONS

Hi I don't know how to make traditional outline work in urp?

25. DGordon

DGordon

Also, what is the recommended HDRP version to use at this point for DXR and Realtoon? I tried 2021.3.24f1 but that gives me errors regarding DXR when I import the hdrp files. [Edit - I found the solution to this on the previous page for anyone else who gets this]

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  26. frankcarey

frankcarey

When using the DeNorSobOutline in HDRP 2022.2, the outline was showing through any object that was using transparent shader (even parts that were opaque).. and I found it was best to change the custom pass to just happen "After Opaque and Sky" instead of "Before TAA". That seems to have solved the problem. Attaching a patch if that's helpful to the creator or others..

Then you'll need to assign the custom post process in the proper pass and remove it from the TAA pass (this isn't automatic).

To the creator - thank you for this asset, quite happy with how it turned out.

upload_2023-5-2_21-55-41.png

Attached Files:

andreiagmu and MJQStudioWorks like this.
  27. DGordon

DGordon

Hey, I got my character to look the same no matter what the lighting is and still have a hard "shadow" which has nothing to do with the lighting. This was done by turning almost everything off (including the highlight power) and bumping the main texture power to 25.

The shadowing seems to be set to a specific rotation, so that if the model is facing that rotation the shadow will be dead center down his face. Any chance I can change what that rotation is? I'm rendering out a short cartoon and it would be great to control that per shot.

Even if it requires a hack to a file, I'm happy to do it if you can tell me where ... at that point I would just create some custom code which lets me set that through timeline.

BTW, awesome product. I thought for sure that I was going to have to roll my own shader once I realized I just wanted something super simple (so I dont have to set up lighting per shot for the characters which would take me too long), but you already have this in place :).

I saw that you have a matcap checkbox but Im not sure if that will let me do something similar to this with more control. If it does, please let me know.

Thanks!!

[Edit -- I added another picture where the head has a different rotation so you can see what it looks like and what I'm trying to do.]

shadow.png shadow2.png

Attached Files:

28. jasonkang_unity

jasonkang_unity

Hi, do you have any plans to add a face shadow map function?

29. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi sorry for the super late reply:
    You try this one, this a tutorial on how to use the smooth object normal:

Here's how to use the smooth object normal helper script:

andreiagmu likes this.
  30. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

About that feature, i already thought of adding it but it will be 50/50 because this features only works on Directional Light only.

andreiagmu likes this.
  31. jasonkang_unity

jasonkang_unity

I expected it to work only with Directional Lights. I look forward to the day when you just use face shadows by integrating them into your RealToon shaders. Currently, I am developing a face shader separately, but my shader skills are not enough to match compatibility with RealToon.

Looking forward to the day when face shadows are added to RealToon.
    Thank you so much for the good news.

32. Cor1979

Cor1979

Fantastic shader. I'm really pleased. But is there any chance to support decals in HDRP? I see its been asked before and it wasn't able to be implemented yet. Is there any chance it'll be implemented in the future?

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  33. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks!

Tessellation support for HDRP? Is it here and I dont see it or cant be done? Rendering videos and having unsmoothed VRoid models is kind of ... not so nice ...

34. MrJsmall

MrJsmall

Does this asset work with HDRP? I am thinking about using it for my game, but I am using HDRP for it. If it only works with URP/in-built, can I adapt it for HDRP? Thanks!

35. burakcatalok

burakcatalok

Hi,
    "See Through" feature is kinda milestone for me however it works between 2 object I think.. Is there any way to achive this behaviour between more than 2 objects ?

Lets say, Object C will be overdrawn on top of B and A, and B will be drawn on top of A.

_RefVal ("ID", int ) = 0
    [Enum(Blank,8,A,0,B,2)] _Oper("Set 1", int) = 0
    [Enum(Blank,8,None,4,A,6,B,7)] _Compa("Set 2", int) = 4

Can we add C as always on top? then I compare B and A as feautered in the asset?

andreiagmu likes this.
  36. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

Unity 2022.2.20f1 / HDRP
    There is a problem that RealToon changes color quickly and emit Flickering
    If i turn off the "Receive Environmental Lighting and GI" option, this phenomenon seems to disappear.
    I sent video through e-mail

XCO likes this.
  37. ks8866

ks8866

help!
    Shader error in 'HDRP/RealToon/Version 5/Default': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.core/ShaderLibrary/Color.hlsl'. at line 363

38. Pvt-Noob

Pvt-Noob

Hi there,
    First of all I would like to say that I really like RealToon and the shader swap tool is super handy. I am working on an anime game with vroid characters on the URP.

But now to my question: I also found a cool model that uses lilToon shaders and I don't want to have several different shaders for consistency. Is there a way to easily convert the lilToon materials to RealToon? I tried to convert it myself, but my knowledge about shaders is still too little and it ended up looking a bit weird. I guess I need to learn more about all the shader options, but I wanted to ask if there is an easier solution for now.

39. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

hello, sorry to ask again, any chance for support of multiple textures (like 3 layers) with additive blend support? or tutorial for how to add?

anyway, simple question, how do I create a transparent material, with no texture?
    and how to do the same, in URP?

40. DGordon

DGordon

Playing around more with the shader and loving it. A couple of requests:

A) could you give us a color map toggle? I want to be able to change the color of different parts of a model and dont always want to use different materials, and sometimes the model wasnt set up with multiple materials to begin with. IE: I'd like to change the color of the shirt / sweater through a custom component that I write which would set the colors on the color map for your shader.

B) could you give a slider to change the hue? IE: for things like trees, I'd like to just change the hue slightly by adjusting the value based on position ... I could easily drive the hue shift value with my own components, but the actual hue shift probably belongs in the shader.

Thanks!

[Edit -- adding more while I think of it. The color map is the biggest one for me, since that would really help ... especially on models that are all one texture]

C) Any chance you can add a height based gradient? I think FlatKit has one and it sometimes comes in handy. IE: I like the look of the cactus in the classroom picture, and it would be nice to be able to control that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  41. DGordon

DGordon

Works great in HDRP as is. Even allows DXR.

42. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

@MJQStudioWorks Hi! I am really loving this asset, but i noticed good performance hit when applied this shader to my scene objects. Any advice on optimizing it ? I am on HDRP 11

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  43. lukasynthetic

lukasynthetic

Hello, In Unity 2022.3.0 LTS URP 14 still having this problem. I could not find if it has been fixed yet please?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

44. XCO

XCO

Hello, I am using unity 2022 HDRP and I am having issues with all sorts of things. It effects performance, causes jittering for character controller... All sorts of stuff. Is there a time line as to when this might get fixed ?

Thank you very much. Great product otherwise, wish you well :)

45. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

I am getting this error with shader. It says that shader is failed to compile

Shader error in 'HDRP/RealToon/Version 5/Default': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/ShaderLibrary/ShaderVariables.hlsl'. at line 365

Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: RayTracingPrepass, Fragment program with <no keywords>
    Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    Disabled keywords: LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE N_F_ALSL_ON N_F_AL_ON N_F_CA_ON N_F_CLD_ON N_F_COEDGL_ON N_F_CO_ON N_F_CS_ON N_F_DCS_ON N_F_DNO_ON N_F_ESSAO_ON N_F_ESSGI_ON N_F_ESSR_ON N_F_ESSS_ON N_F_FR_ON N_F_GLOT_ON N_F_GLO_ON N_F_HDLS_ON N_F_HPSAS_ON N_F_MC_ON N_F_NFD_ON N_F_NLASOBF_ON N_F_NM_ON N_F_O_MOTTSO_ON N_F_O_NM_ON N_F_O_ON N_F_PAL_ON N_F_PT_ON N_F_RELGI_ON N_F_RL_ON N_F_R_ON N_F_SCT_ON N_F_SIMTRANS_ON N_F_SL_ON N_F_SON_ON N_F_SS_ON N_F_STIAL_ON N_F_STIS_ON N_F_ST_ON N_F_TRANS_ON N_F_USETLB_ON SHADER_API_GLES30 UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING

jsmglorenzo likes this.
  46. unmanman

unmanman

hi
    I meet a small problem.
    I've try to change all the parameter in the material and fail to figure out why is there some wired transparent thing in the picture.
    can someone tell me what's the problem?
    I'm using URP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  47. Rouder

Rouder

upload_2023-6-19_1-11-23.png

After I use this tool to convert the material of vroid model, the eye is not visible. Why is this?

upload_2023-6-19_1-11-3.png

@MJQStudioWorks help

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  48. kevinsyang17

kevinsyang17

Hi, I'm using Unity 2021.3.22f1 and built-in render pipeline, The problem is that objects with the version 5 default shader with default parameters flicker directional lighting in playmode. The flickering does not happen in scene view when I move around, only in playmode.

After entering playmode, it flickers in scene view too. After making the cookie filed in Directional Light null, it solves but why cookie not work?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  49. DGordon

DGordon

Assuming not ... but any chance you would ever make a UE5 version of this? (Not a hate on Unity ... I just prefer to have options on a per-project basis)

50. CRISTALSONIC

CRISTALSONIC

just wandering, have you considered making a shader graph variation to real toon ?
    half wander how feasible that is

(edit)
    I just been looking at shader graph tutorials thinking things like what if real toon had this or that.
    what if i could add a defuse defuse mask to mask out my arm texture and put a rock texture over it for a stone skin buff etc.

I don't understand the shader code at all , but shader graph looks like it would let us add random pacific features like that

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023