Search Unity

RealToon (An AAA Toon/Anime Shader and Stylized)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MJQStudioWorks, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SteveB

SteveB

So manually adjust...copy that and thank you!

MJQStudioWorks likes this.
  2. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

No problem :).

Just for now, because that example scene you open is for RealToon HDRP.
    To make it work on URP, you do need to change that material shader.

3. mr_president

mr_president

Hey, wonderful asset, I've been enjoying using it immensely so far :D. I've ran into a bit of a snag though...
    I'm trying to make the DeNorSob outline become partially transparent/fade into the fog behind it. (I'm using URP if that info is needed.)

With all of the transparent materials I'm using I've been able to directly add the fog into the material using the shader graph, but that doesn't appear to work here. Here's the fog asset for reference: https://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/?section=fog

So next I tried changing the "When To Insert" setting to "Before Rendering Transparents", and this actually works with the fog quite well! But I have other transparents that cause issues with the outline if they render before it; specifically water will cover up the part of the line that sticks outside of the geometry, creating these ugly full-lines to half-lines transitions every time geometry intersects with the water (if there were a way to keep all of the outline inside the geometry this would go away and I could use this method).

So lastly I tried editing the shader myself. I didn't think I could insert the fog into it, but I thought that maybe I could use the already existing depth information to control the alpha of each rendered pixel, where the further away the more transparent it is, and then control this with some kind of manual intensity property, or set a fully transparent depth and lerp between a starting depth and it.

I'm very new to shaders, but I was able to get this partially working. I'm not sure how the numbers are working behind the scenes but depth values do not appear to be a linear 0..1, and it's only working on the outside lines, not the lines that are on top of geometry, and I'm not sure why. How would you go about implementing this feature? I'm willing to do it myself, any advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  4. kzkkei1201

kzkkei1201

Is there a way to mask screen space outline & Denorsob outline? Just like how you can use a black and white texture in traditional outline mode.
    My character currently has outline around his eye white area also. While it is not a major issue it would be great if they can be masked away.
    upload_2022-7-27_21-3-19.png upload_2022-7-27_21-3-34.png

5. Iroha71

Iroha71

Hello, @MJQStudioWorks.
    When I use bloom in URP, face glows as shown in the image.
    Is there any way to prevent this exposure?
    (I don't use Self Lit.)

- Environments
    Unity 2021.3.6 (URP)
    URP 12.1.7
    RealToon V5.0.8p5 (Patch#5)

(Sorry. I don't speak English, so this is a machine translation)

Attached Files:

6. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi Iroha71,
    What's the value of your Main Color Intensity?
    Maybe the value is too high and to bright.

Bloom will affect too bright colors, it also depends on the bloom threshold.

Take note that realtoon recieves ambient light and GI.

7. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi kzkkei1201,
    DeNorSob Ouline can't be mask and it is fullscreen.

About Screen Space Outline, i'll add to be able to adjust the value by texture it, maybe on the upcoming patch #6 but i'll test it first if possible.

Currently you can do it on the Traditional Outline by using the option "Outline Control".
    Use black and white texture, 0 is black while white is 1.
    When using this be sure the outline "Width" value is not equal to 0.

8. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi mr_president,
    About DeNorSob Outline, it should be affected by the fog, you just need to change the
    "When To Insert", if not working maybe unity changed something again.
    What unity version you are using? and URP version?

Take note the DeNorSob Outline is fullscreen post processing.
    Try the sobel mode.

9. Iroha71

Iroha71

@MJQStudioWorks
    Thank you for your reply.
    The main texture settings are as shown in the image.
    Indeed, the MainColor value may be high.
    I will try to adjust MainColor and Bloom.

Additional question, how can I reflect the shadow of the hair on the face like Ria Chan? (Is this a HDRP only feature?)
    Are there any tutorials or example settings?

Sorry for the series of questions.

Attached Files:

10. Fabraz

Fabraz

Hey ya @MJQStudioWorks! Lovely shader so far, really on par with Unity-chan's Toon Shader!

We are thinking of using this shader because we're now using DOTS & the Hybrid Renderer with URP, which you state is supported! However, unfortunately we can't make it work and get the following errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. WARNING: Hybrid Renderer using error shader for batch with an erroneous material: MetalBlue - Shipping Container NEW (UnityEngine.Material)
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object,UnityEngine.Object)
    3. Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem:AddNewBatch (Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem/BatchCreateInfo&,Unity.Entities.ComponentTypeHandle`1<Unity.Rendering.HybridChunkInfo>&,Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<Unity.Entities.ArchetypeChunk>,int) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/HybridV2RenderSystem.cs:3494)
    4. Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem:AddNewChunks (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1<Unity.Entities.ArchetypeChunk>) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/HybridV2RenderSystem.cs:2990)
    5. Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem:UpdateAllBatches (Unity.Jobs.JobHandle) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/HybridV2RenderSystem.cs:2635)
    6. Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem:UpdateHybridV2Batches (Unity.Jobs.JobHandle) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/HybridV2RenderSystem.cs:2120)
    7. Unity.Rendering.HybridRendererSystem:OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Rendering.Hybrid/HybridV2RenderSystem.cs:2157)
    8. Unity.Entities.SystemBase:Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Entities/SystemBase.cs:400)
    9. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:UpdateAllSystems () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:583)
    10. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystemGroup:OnUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystemGroup.cs:523)
    11. Unity.Entities.ComponentSystem:Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Entities/ComponentSystem.cs:114)
    12. Unity.Entities.ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder/DummyDelegateWrapper:TriggerUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.51.0-preview.32/Unity.Entities/ScriptBehaviourUpdateOrder.cs:426)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\RealToon\Editor\RealToonShaderGUI_URP_SRP.cs(66,15): warning CS0414: The field 'RealToonShaderGUI_URP_SRP.dots_lbs_cd_string' is assigned but its value is never used
    As well as two shader errors:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. A Hybrid Renderer V2 batch is using the shader "Universal Render Pipeline/RealToon/Version 5/Default/Default", but the shader is either not compatible with Hybrid Renderer V2, is missing the DOTS_INSTANCING_ON variant, or there is a problem with the DOTS_INSTANCING_ON variant.
    2. UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper:Internal_ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper_TickRealtimeProbes (bool&)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Universal Render Pipeline/RealToon/Version 5/Default/Default': The DOTS_INSTANCING_ON keyword requires shader model 4.5 or greater ("#pragma target 4.5" or greater). at /Users/fabra/Documents/demon-turf-2/Demon Turf 2/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.7/ShaderLibrary/UnityInstancing.hlsl(50)
    3. Compiling Subshader: 0, Pass: ShadowCaster, Vertex program with DOTS_INSTANCING_ON
    4. Platform defines: SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS
    5. Disabled keywords: INSTANCING_ON SHADER_API_GLES30 UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_UNIFIED_SHADER_PRECISION_MODEL UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING _CASTING_PUNCTUAL_LIGHT_SHADOW

We have already changed the shader compilation target to 4.5 as you instruct.

Unity version 2021.3.4f1
    URP 12.1.7
    Hybrid Renderer 0.51.0-preview.32
    Entities 0.51.0-preview.32
    Forward, Gamma

Appreciate any help, thanks!

upload_2022-7-28_23-53-6.png

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Arashi_Hayato likes this.
  11. rivanavur

rivanavur

is there any changes the outline work faster? im making a film the outline was terible

12. CRISTALSONIC

CRISTALSONIC

two questions, any one have a good recordation for a good toon train shader to go with this one?

second,
    I have a transparency issue. the hair goes completely black with nothing behind it . any thoughts on what is doing this?
    upload_2022-8-7_12-19-28.png upload_2022-8-7_12-19-52.png

13. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Hello there, Mjq Studio ^^, i was seeing this break down and remember your incredible shader,

It ll be awesome if can control the shadow by map as this one. 0:35 s

14. CRISTALSONIC

CRISTALSONIC

lol yeah I been wandering what that game did

15. mr_president

mr_president

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure why I didn't get an email notification.

I did change the "when to insert" and that works well if I render the fog after it and I only have fog in the scene, except that I need some transparents (water) to render before the lines or I get some weird issues:

If I insert before transparents, the fog works fine with it but I get this weird issue with the water overlapping half of the outline, but if I insert after transparents then the fog doesn't work. On top of that the water has to render after the fog to be affected by it, so I don't think there's anywhere I can insert the outline without having some issues.

If you don't see any potential solutions off the top of your head that's ok, I realize this is a project specific issue beyond the scope of what the outline was meant to do. I was just wondering if you might spot any potential solutions I might be missing.

16. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi sorry for the super late reply,
    Before you can use DOTS, you do need to change the shader version from 3.0 to 4.5.
    Just go to Settings then change it.

17. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi sorry for the super late reply,
    May i know what rendering pipeline are you using?
    Built-In? URP? or HDRP?

For film, i recommend to use HDRP, if you machine is not that fast or low, i recommend you to use URP.
    Be sure to the adjust the outline value properly and use the Outline Width Control texture.
    You can also use the Screen Space Outline or the RealToon DeNorSob Outline.

18. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, sorry for the late reply,
    it is black because of the outline.
    if you are using RealToon URP or HDRP the outline will also follow the transparent.

19. Slugma420

Slugma420

Hey!

Have anyone had the following error? I have the latest Unity URP and RealToon URP installed at the default path. The .hlsl files exist in the same path as stated in the pic as well.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

HI Slugma420,
    Maybe there are some errors that prevent RealToon from accessing the other RealToon files.
    Maybe try to reimport the RealToon Folder.

21. xealgo

xealgo

I've been looking for a camera distance fade / dithering solution for the past several hours. I created a basic dither shader via shader graph, but of course you can't combine materials like this. I was thinking about potentially having 2 mesh instances, one with the real toon material and one with the dithering material, then just swapping the active mesh via distance test with the camera. However, if there is a better, or existing solution in real toon, that'd be preferrable.

22. ACS22

ACS22

Hi, using your shader on Unity2021.3.8f1 and HDRP pipeline and XR. When I change "Project Settings > XR Plug-in Management > OpenXR" Render Mode to Single pass instanced, the output is messed up, like some of realtoon effects only render in one of the screens of my VR headset.

I found this link:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SinglePassInstancing.html

Do I need to do this to make this shader work in XR/VR?

If so, where do I make those changes? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  23. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi ACS22, sorry for the late reply.
    It should support it VR/XR, but i need to check it again, maybe unity did some changes and need to add one more line,
    If i found out there is something, I'll fix it and include it in the next patch #6.

May i know what RealToon Effects it is?

24. ACS22

ACS22

No worries. Unfortunately is hard to tell as I can't toggle them on/off in runtime. But looks like it is affecting lighting/gloss/shadows.
    The shader works fine with "Multi-pass" but impacts performance in VR.
    Should be easy to reproduce:
    HDRP Lit Shader: Forward rendering + Realtoon + OpenXR Single Pass Instanced = issue.

25. Fabraz

Fabraz

First thing we did, as I stated in my post, unfortunately! I believe this implementation might be based on the old DOTs system, which has now been revised by Unity for the new Hybrid Render approach maybe? Whatever it is, something doesn't quite work here sadly.

26. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi thanks for the update and info, I'll look into it.
    It seem unity did change something.

27. GriffinflyStudios

GriffinflyStudios

Hello, does RealToon support Dynamic, realtime point lights in URP v 10.10? I can only get lighting when I bake them with Unity's lightmap baker.

Realtime point lights work for regular URP lit shader but it doesnt work for Realtoon default shader. There's a lighting section where I enable additional lights and increase point light intensity, but it doesnt work unless I bake it.

28. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi GriffinflyStudios,
    RealTime point light is supported and working,
    It should work.
    Take note that RealTime shadow for point light on URP 10 is not supported.

I recommend you to send an email support and send screenshots to see the problem and longer support convo.

29. shuskry

shuskry

Hi ,

I'm trying to implement your shader with DOTS but it's not working at all... Even with changing the shader version from 3.0 to 4.5....

I'm using the last LTS 2021 version.

I have the same problem as @Fabraz above:

Thanks for your help

30. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi shuskry,
    I'm still checking this problem.
    Maybe unity did some changed on LTS 2021.

shuskry likes this.
  31. shuskry

shuskry

From unity documentation
    • Use shader model 4.5 or newer. Specify #pragma target 4.5 or higher.
    • Support the DOTS_INSTANCING_ON keyword. Declare this with #pragma multi_compile _ DOTS_INSTANCING_ON.
    • Declare at least one block of DOTS Instanced properties each of which has least one property. For more information, see Declaring DOTS Instanced properties.

It's seems to be needed to declaring DOTS Instanced properties now ( for example):

Code (CSharp):
    1. UNITY_DOTS_INSTANCING_START(MaterialPropertyMetadata)
    2. UNITY_DOTS_INSTANCED_PROP(float4, Color)
    3. UNITY_DOTS_INSTANCING_END(MaterialPropertyMetadata)
    From this documentation if someone need

Hope to see a update soon !
    Have a good day :)

EDIT: Or maybe i'm wrong u.u

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  32. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, I already did that, you can check the PROPS.hlsl realtoon shader file.
    Can you share the error's you got when using DOTS?

33. shuskry

shuskry

I have a Yellow warning saying :

If i look at the default Shader import settings it's say:

And the material appear in Pink color in play mode

EDIT: Using URP 12+, unity 2021.3.9f1

34. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Thanks for the info and screenshot,
    I'll look into this.
    It seems there is only one error.

35. shuskry

shuskry

Hope you will success to resolve this ! Your shader is one of my favorite on the assetstore :D!

Edit: if it's easy to solve , please tell me what I can edit :D

Thanks for your work!

36. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Thank you :)
    I'll do my best to solve/fix it as possible.

Is it possible for you to send an example project of DOTS that uses LTS 2021, for me to fix the error properly?
    Just super simple, i tried to create one with 2021 LTS and it yield/produce some error, realtoon is not yet imported.
    just send it by message here if possible. :)

37. shuskry

shuskry

I wrote to you in private :)

MJQStudioWorks likes this.
  38. WaterfowlGames

WaterfowlGames

im getting a weird artifact while using denorsob outline effect in unity 2020.3.23 URP, where a line is appearing in front of the terrain only while using the depth normals add on to the render pipeline asset. any idea how to fix this?

mr_president likes this.
  39. kevojo

kevojo

No errors for me, but I have a little inconvenience that I cannot find Realtoon in the shader list for a material. So the only way to create a realtoon material is to either right click the shader file and create a material from there, or duplicate an existing one. Not a huge inconvenience, but just wondered if there's an easy fix.

40. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi sorry for the super late reply.
    What URP version are you using?

41. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi kevojo,
    May i know what Rendering Pipeline are you using? and what version?

42. aesi_aes

aesi_aes

Hello there, looks great :)

I have 2 questions... currently using another Toon Shader which doesn't support Light Cookies :(

1. You say "Vertex color support for Outline, Self Shadow & Smooth Object Normal features."
    Does that mean it supports using Vertex Colors just as colors for the model? And can it be combined with the Texture?

2. Do Light Cookies work on Built-In Render Pipeline?

Thanks in advance!
    Denzi

43. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi aesi_aes,
    Thank you :)

1.Yes you can combined the Vertex Color of your object to the Main/Base Texture.
    2.RealToon (Built-In) does support light cookies.

44. midgear

midgear

I'm having some ghosting outlines when the characters move. Like the outline is chasing the character. How does one fix this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  45. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi midgear,
    Did you use a post-processing outline? or DeNorSob?

46. midgear

midgear

I'm using URP DeNorSob Outline (Post-Processing):

URP.PNG

URData.PNG

47. midgear

midgear

Also I don't know if this is caused by the same thing or a different problem but the outlines are over the UI elements

UIOverlay.PNG

48. WaffleTheDoggle

WaffleTheDoggle

Hello there! I hope this is the right place to post this lol

So I'm interested in using the outline feature. I'm assuming this is a known limitation - but when used on a mesh with sharp normals, the resulting outline is disconnected.

I've done some research online, and apparently you can use the vertex colours of a mesh to generate the outline. That way, you can get a connected outline on a mesh with sharp normals, if you've prepared smooth vertex colours.

I noticed that the asset page includes something to the affect of "Vertex colour support added for outline, etc." However, as far as I can tell, this only extends to blue vertices controlling the outline width.

So I guess on to my question finally. Does the asset have the ability to use vertex colours to generate outlines in the way I described? And if not, is there a possibility of it being added?

49. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi, did you try to adjust the Before and After rending option in the Rendered Settings?

50. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi,
    Did you mean use the Vertex Color as normals for outline?
    If it is, i implemented this last time but i remove it because it is not really working properly.
    if you have some information about it or share, just sent a message here or send an email about it.

Currently you can adjust the Outline Width value by the vertex color blue.
    You can also do this by using the "Width Color" texture slot to adjust also the Outline Width,
    Black is 0, white is 1.