Search Unity

Realtime shadow improvements in 2017.1.Percentage Closer Filtering is Awesome ! but how to get it?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by yangjianhui8, Jul 13, 2017.

1. yangjianhui8

yangjianhui8

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/07/11/introducing-unity-2017/?-1478807591.1495098831

Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF) for real-time shadows is also implemented in 2017.1
    i used unity 2017.1. but who can hlep me find this features.thanks!:)

office show like this:
    Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF) for real-time shadows is also implemented in 2017.1. Depth value for each pixel is sampled from the shadow map around the current pixel and its depth is compared to all the samples. This allows a smoother line between light and shadow. You can see the comparison in the gif below:

2. canek

canek

I'm also not be able to find where to enable this. For me, shadows in 2017 so far look as bad as they have always been. Sorry, I'm just surprised that Unity's cutout, cartoonish, hard-edged looking (with soft shadows enabled) shadows haven't been improved. I wish Unity's shadows were at par with Unreal Engine, where out of the box shadows look amazing.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It should just be "on" by default when you're using stable fit... at least that's what I replied before. I deleted my post because I wasn't sure if it was the case. It's probably not really a feature people need to be worrying about but a general quality improvement for the stable fit people.

4. scvnathan

scvnathan

Just as another data point, after upgrading to 2017.1 our shadows definitely looked much better (softer as in the examples). We have a single realtime directional light, stable fit projection, high res. A++ would upgrade again